• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mandibular Tori & X-rays

M

Mandibular Tori

Today at a new dental office, the hygienist was taking x-rays. I have Mandibular Tori. The apparatus that they make you bite down on (whatever it is called) was extremely painful - the Mandibular Tori that I have are not too large, and I've never had such discomfort before.

Generally speaking, the hygienist should know how to properly take the x-rays without causing any pain in the patient right? Even if they have Mandibular Tori? When I mentioned the pain, she was surprised - aren't they trained to know that that area of the mouth is sensitive, and to position the plastic mouthpiece accordingly?

relax your tongue have her position closer to the center of your mouth and you should be fine. I have seen patients with tori that were treated so rough by other offices that they had ulceration over the tori.

Back