• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

my dentist but new practice

  • Thread starter Thread starter harper
  • Start date Start date
christo2006 said:
do you really think that was what he was thinking? i just automatically thought he meant i shouldnt be here ( me as mandy the pain in the arse who i wish would go away and not come back)

No Mandy, he meant the tooth, not you :).
The reason why he wants someone else have a look at it is not because he wants to get rid of you, but because it's his duty of care to make sure you get the best treatment possible. Dentists have to follow a code of ethics, and part of the code of ethics is to refer a patient to someone more qualified if they cannot provide treatment at a similar standard to what an expert could provide. Failing to do so could also have legal implications, as far as I know.

So - it's not that he thinks you as a person are a pain - but your tooth is a bit of a pain ;D.
 
Hi Mandy...I hope you are feeling better today. I will keep my fingers crossed for tomarrow 8-) I know exactly how you feel. I hope the new x-ray will find something that could be causing the pain, but not anything that requires too much treatment :-/ I know how annoying it can be when you have the pain, but x-rays show everything to be fine...I am going through the same thing.

Best of luck to you [smiley=hug.gif]
 
thanks freakout,lets
  dont feel very good today the tooth at the bottom is hurting and my rc tooth at the bottom is joining it cos it feels left out :(  feels like im going mad oh yeah iam mad ::) havent had any tears today but still feel pretty much the same emotionally. lets is it ok to talk about that side of it ? my dentist fear is the big issue but its also a confidence issue so ill understand if youd rather i didnt. i think i wont truelly feel better until tomorrow when ive seen C,although the way im interpreting things at the moment and the fact that ive got to see him in the middle of his sedation clinic and its a mad house ill probably feel worse positive or what  ::)  i promise i will try and get it into my head thats its not me thats a pain but my tooth , I WILL TRY!! i do have a couple of questions,yesterday E the receptionist/assistant from hell [smiley=evil.gif] said see you on the 31st it will be a long app because your having the fillings 3 one of which as far as i know i need a crown and having my 2 rc finished ,ive had them done but had temps put back in in case i reacted badly to having the rct.  i dont want to have it all done on the same time id rather have the fillings done seprately question do i tell him this do i say im worrying about it and want to have it done in two apps or am i going to make matters worse? secound one do i say anything about yesterday how im worrying about it and think its me hes fed up with or not? thanks again for listening mandy
 
Hi Mandy :)  So sorry the other tooth is acting up...sometimes my RCT tooth hurts too, only there is no nerve there, so it is probably radiating pain from the other tooth (or so I've been told)

I would definately tell him, that you would prefer separating the treatment into two visits if that would make you more comfortable.  I have my next appointment scheduled for a permenent crown, and some fillings.  I my jaw starts feeling stressed, I am planning on asking to break the treatment into two visits.  I am sure C will have no problem, if it will be more comfortable for you.

I am sure that C was trying lighten the situation, by joking with you, however if it will ease your mind, than by all means talk to him about how you feel.

Best of luck
 
Hi Mandy, just a quick reply because I have to go, but I'll get back later tonight :)

christo2006 said:
is it ok to talk about that side of it ? my dentist fear is the big issue but its also a confidence issue so ill understand if youd rather i didnt.

That's absolutly fine, as long you're not worried about posting these things here (because people can read them).If you feel more comfortable with PMing me or others, that's fine, too. Whatever you feel happy with!

i dont want to have it all done on the same time id rather have the fillings done seprately question do i tell him this do i say im worrying about it and want to have it done in two apps or am i going to make matters worse?

No, if it was me, I'd want to have them done separately as well. It would be a good idea to ask for this!

secound one do i say anything about yesterday how im worrying about it and think its me hes fed up with or not?

How did you react when you thought he meant you and not the tooth?
 
hi freakout
thanks for replying at least now i know im not imagining it i kept thinking well maybe im imagining it and then i think maybe its the rct tooth although if theres no nerve can it hurt? who knows. its been killing today :( hope your ok ? thanks for the support
 
Hi Mandy :) I know it is the worst feeling to be in pain, but not be able to have anything show up on x-rays to show where the pain is coming from.

As for me, I have been having a bit of a rough time of it. I was running a fever yesterday, and today I have pain underneath the jaw bone (on the side with the temporary crown) however, I don't have any distinct pain in that tooth. Maybe it is still my jaw acting up :-/ One good thing now that I have discomfort on that side, the tooth next to the RCT tooth (which on the other side) doesn't seem quite as bad lol.

It's neverending problems for us :-/ Hopefully we will both feel alot better real soon 8-)
 
letsconnect said:
Hi Mandy, just a quick reply because I have to go, but I'll get back later tonight  :)


That's absolutly fine, as long you're not worried about posting these things here (because people can read them).If you feel more comfortable with PMing me or others, that's fine, too. Whatever you feel happy with!


No, if it was me, I'd want to have them done separately as well. It would be a good idea to ask for this!


How did you react when you thought he meant you and not the tooth?
hi lets
C said damn right you shouldnt be here the first thing i said was well ill go now then shall i? didnt get a reply to that i just kinda looked at the door i then said its not my fault and started crying. J the nurse tried to make me feel better,C then said come on then lets have a look. did the usuall looking at it, tapped on it and then put that horrible cold stuff on it. he looked very frustrated and annoyed and tried to explain to me that he needs answers to questions before he can do anything. he said theres nothing on the xray no cavity in it but something is going on because it hurts if you tap it and eat on it and is cold sensative that cold stuff made me jump out of the chair. he kept saying to me i must understand he cant just take the nerve out and kill it and then end up doing more and more teeth to find out where the pains coming from. he then said about the consultant at the hospital which i said no too. i was frustrated too not because of the tooth but because i thought/think hes having a go at me and so i said ill end up having the damn thing pulled out and have a gap in the front after all this. C then said something like the nerve will come out but not the tooth,that bits a bit of a blank. C then said he thinks its inflamation and said ill give you antibiotics make sure you take them. first we were going to see if the antibiotics will help then C said no phone L (the lovely receptionist at the old practice) and tell her i want to see you and we will use their xray equipment as its digital and then get a collegue to look. this is when i think i must have pulled a face as C then said just the xrays not you. he then typed something on the computer i got all upset again and J was nice to me again. C said make sure you take the antibiotics and then gave me a hug i practically squeezed him to death and said i was sorry and then we said goodbye and C said take care look after yourself. i think that is about it as far as i can remember. i just rode home (ive got a motorbike) in tears :'( :'(
 
christo2006 said:
C said make sure you take the antibiotics and then gave me a hug i practically squeezed him to death and said i was sorry and then we said goodbye and C said take care look after yourself. i think that is about it as far as i can remember. i just rode home (ive got a motorbike) in tears :'( :'(

So he demonstrated (not just in words, but also physically, by hugging you) that he likes you and that everything is OK  :). Excuse me if I'm being stupid, but is that not the greatest compliment someone could make you?
 
hi lets
no your not stupid its me thats stupid ;) your right!,i think it may finally be getting through to me why would someone who didnt like me give me a hug? it wasnt me who hugged him its him who hugged me if that makes sense? the doctor said because im vunerable at the moment i think something different to what people are actually saying. he said my brain hears take care,look after yourself a lovely thing to say ,my emotional state says go away and leave me alone or hes only saying that to make you feel better he doesnt mean it. as far as i know and lets face it ive been a lot ;) he doesnt hug all his patients.
 
hi everyone
well ive managed to phone the old practice not too hard really as they are lovely there. unfortunetly we cant use the xray eq we wanted to use as the dentist isnt there,so i have to go and have yet another xray much the same as at my practice and then get someone else to have a look :( cant say im looking forward to it keep thinking about tuesday and thinking im gonna get the same when i go today :'(
 
Hi :) I am so sorry about the x-ray, hopefully another dentist will see something on the regular x-ray 8-) Sometimes, it just takes an extra set of eyes. Once when I was having problems with my jaw, I had to go for x-rays at the hospital. After the first picture, the oral surgeon still saw nothing, but another doctor saw something, so they took more picture. Finally I had a diagnosis of what was happening in my jaw joint, & we were able to form a treatment plan :D

So there is hope that another dentist (fresh set of eyes) may see something that your dentist does not see. 8-)

Best of luck today, I will be sending you warm thoughts [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
thanks freakout
well they cant see anything! :( begining to think its me now :-/ its so frustrating . c still thinks its inflamation and keep taking the antibiotics ,if it doesnt go away he said hes going to send me to the hospital. please make it go away i dont want to see someone else its silly but im too scared :'( also my dentist is an oral surgeon what is the hospital gonna see he doesnt?
 
I am so sorry that you had no luck. I was really hoping they would have some clue as to what was going on (maybe giving me a clue as to my tooth) Maybe the hospital has move advanced diagnostic equipment, that could find the source of the pain :-/ I know you really do not want to go that route, but trust that he cares about you, and is trying to do the best thing possible for you.

There are many doctors/dentists out there who would keep doing expensive procedures just to make money. Thankfully he wants to make sure what it is before doing any treatment on that tooth. I know it is easy for me to say, as I am just as impatient as you...I just want the pain to stop, but I can understand the reasons he wants to seek a specialist input too. Believe me I know how hard it is to see a specialist. When I had problems with the root canaled tooth, I was sent to an oral surgeon for a consult. They took x-rays & he came into the room, looked at my mouth, spent about 30 seconds on the tooth, and sent me back to my dentist, saying its probably the root canal failing. So just because he sends you to a specialist, that doesn't mean they will do anything to you.

Wishing you all the best 8-)
 
harper said:
if it doesnt go away he said hes going to send me to the hospital. please make it go away i dont want to see someone else its silly but im too scared

Hi Harper
Bad luck  :-/. I've been trying to think if there's anyone I know who has come back from an appointment at the hospital with an NHS Consultant (any kind) and said 'that was awful, they were really unhelpful and unkind to me'....I can't think of a single person where this has been the case - it is more often a complaint about how long you had to wait in the waiting area and how long you will now have to wait to get treatment.

The hospital probably will have even more advanced x-ray equipment than at either practice. The oral surgeon at the hospital is likely to have more experience of your kind of injury as being based in a hospital they will regularly see more trauma-type cases than a general dentist.

As Freakout says, just because you see someone, doesn't mean they will do anything.

One other point, which may be reassuring, I saw an Oral Surgeon in the UK years ago (wisdom teeth) and as you know one recently here (no action required): in both cases, the consultation room was extremely low-key - it's just a chair, no other equipment really - almost as if they know people are usually scared of anything to do with dentists and they are deliberately trying to be as non-threatening as possible. It would be nice to think that were the case anyway  :D.
Best wishes
Brit
 
hi freakout,brit
thanks for the support [smiley=hugging.gif]
its not really that im frightened of them hurting me ,its more of a confidence issue the waiting ,the strange place and strange people frighten me [smiley=frightened.gif] its complicated to explain its like if different people are there i feel pressured like when i was 12 like i must do as im told like a naughty child :( when i went today there was another lady and c said this is vanessa shes going to take a look i practically left the chair and then c said its ok only the xrays.
 
Hi :D I can totally understand what you are saying...I was terrified to see a specialist, heck I was terrified to see the hygentist. I did not know her and that terrified me. I can not stand anyone other than the dentist looking at my mouth [smiley=frightened.gif] But in the end I bit the bullet and went in, because I knew I could not endure the pain I was in much longer. It was extremely hard to go and I do not know how I did it, but I did. Thankfully the assistant at the oral surgeons office was extremely kind, and did not leave my side for one second, she even rubbed my arm in a calming way, when the dentist was looking into my mouth.

I know your dentist has prescribed antibiotics for the inflammation, has he suggested any anti inflammatory medicine that you can take, to try and get the inflammation to go down? Sometimes, just reducing the inflammation, helps the pain tremendously.

I hope you feel better real soon. [smiley=hug.gif]
 
hi freakout
its reassuring to know im not the only one who wont let anyone else look in their mouth.im lucky so far c does the cleaning too. yeah he said to take 3 ibuprofen and a paracetomal which works well but keeps me awake. its funny because its not hurting since i came back from the old practice but the one next to it the one i had the rc done on monday is hurting im going round and round in circles [smiley=confused.gif] i hope your ok been so down i havent supported you [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Hi...Don't worry about the support thing. It's funny, but when I am able to be there to support others, somehow it helps me in the process. I am still running a low grade fever and my jawbone beneath the crowned tooth aches, but not the tooth itself. I can also feel a bump below the tooth. It kind of makes me nervous, however the tooth doesn't really hurt to much, only if I bite into something hard, forgetting about the temporary crown :-/

I have decided if I notice swelling or pain in the tooth, I will call the dentist, otherwise I will just try and ignore it for now.

What is paracetamol? Forgive me I am in the US, I have heard about it from UK posters and not sure what it is
 
freakout said:
What is paracetamol? Forgive me I am in the US, I have heard about it from UK posters and not sure what it is

Paracetamol is the recommended International Nonproprietary Name for Acetaminophen (the United States Adopted Name). In the US, the most common brandname would be Tylenol.
 
Back
Top