• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after impacted wisdom tooth extraction 5 days later...

L

laceygirl78

Hi everyone: I am hoping my dental phobia is not getting the best of me here, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that something is going on in my mouth. I had an impacted wisdom tooth surgically removed on Friday and the pain is becoming unbearable, even with pain killers. I called my dentist's office yesterday and the receptionist basically just told me that I'm old lol (I'm only 40!) and that my body would take more time to heal than a younger person. It just doesn't feel like it should be getting worse at this point...5 days later. I couldn't sleep last night as I have harsh nerve-type pain in my jaw. It radiates into all of my teeth at this point. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think it's dry socket as the hole was stitched up. I'm thinking maybe an infection but there is no weird smell. Am I just too paranoid. Why do all my other teeth hurt? It reminds me of the kind of pain I felt when I needed root canal. Help!

Oh goodness yes do I identify.

I had mine out at age 40 and days 4-6 were rough indeed.

Btw through experience I’ve learned to take what the receptionists say with a big old grain of salt. They deserve to be treated with dignity, since they are human, but they are not dental professionals.

Laceygirl,

Sorry to hear your pain is getting worse :(.. ugh.. I would be concerned too if that happened to me like that, The unknown is awful .. but also impacted wisdom tooth, might take more time to heal? Five days is a long time to have that kind of pain. That is super hard.. sorry I don't have an answer but wanted to let you know... you are thought of and hoping things look better soon..

You can still have a dry socket after stitches. Get back on the phone.

So it seems like I had a dry socket. She packed it with something and it felt 10 times better! She said I could go back and get it re-packed, if needed. I am still in pain, but it is much more bearable now. Moral of the story: Listen to yourself! I suffered for days because I doubted my own intuitions :(

Well unfortunately there is no happy ending as of yet. The pain came back with a vengeance and now my top molar with a new temporary crown is aching too! This I find weird because the wisdom tooth came out from the bottom. My general dentist said that the pain could be referred. I just don't get it, but it seems too much of a coincidence to not be related. I went back for some more of that medicated gauze and the pain did not go away this time. It feels like half of my teeth need root canals! The pain is horrible. I think maybe the surgeon damaged the nerve? I have a follow up appointment on Friday. Any words of wisdom?

I doubt the surgeon damaged a nerve. Referred pain is actually not uncommon - nerves are complicated and intertwined. I've had problems with referred pain in the past.

The most important thing is to not fear the worst. Problems with pain post wisdom extraction are not uncommon, even if it's not where you think the pain ought to be! Try to keep calm, practise deep breathing if you feel yourself getting panicky, and your pain will ease with time. :)

So I finally followed up with the surgeon (2 weeks after the extraction) and it turns out the socket is infected. Pus came out when he touched it. Ugh..no wonder it hurts so much! Well it's antibiotic city for me now...lol. I am really hoping this will all start to feel better in a few days :)

Laceygirl,

How are you doing with this now?

Back