• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Phobics prefer blondes - no, gentlemen!

Re: which do yu perfere

You know, I've never had any experiences with women dentists. All of mine have been men!

personaly i think i like woman dentist cause they r more genteler than men

I have always preferred a male dentist.

my hygienist is a woman, and she's awesome. my periodontist is a man, and just as awesome. i was very open about how scared i was,and they were all very open to telling me they were there to help.

I'm a female and the first dentist I saw to have my wisdom teeth removed 3 years ago was
a female and I ran outta her office on surgery day. I freaked because I didn't feel comfortable.
Today I have gotten my wisdom's removed from the best male dentist !
Its all about who you feel comfortable with, I always go with males haha I don't want
Gentile I want them out fast and I did :)

:giggle:yea ur right like i dont feel confortable around men dentist i mean i guess i feel more confortable around wemon dentist thats all

I've only been to male dentists, but all my doctors are men, so guess I can't really answer the question fairly. My husband goes to a male dentist, but has a female hygienist and he hates going to her..she is very rough and always ends up making his gums bleed.

I've only been to male dentists, but all my doctors are men, so guess I can't really answer the question fairly. My husband goes to a male dentist, but has a female hygienist and he hates going to her..she is very rough and always ends up making his gums bleed.

Oh yes I forget to mention I also have a female hygienist and she's rough and I also bleed. So I usually ask for my dentist to do my cleanings , a male and very gentile!

My best answer would be "one who doesn't hurt me". :)

Seriously, I think I prefer a female dentist. I don't know why.

My best answer would be none of them!!!!

But if I had to choose I would say woman.

I have both a female dentist and hygenist and love them both!!!

Love your answer Graham Dee of "My best answer would be "one who doesn't hurt me". :)" I couldn't agree more.

I have a female hygenist who especially recently has been very kind to offer me extra time and care due to my TMJ issues. So she's a "keeper." Though, lol, I wouldn't mind the "cavitron" even with numbing gel, being a bit less pointy at times. That said, I have a male dentist, who as most of you already know, I think is awesome.

I've never had a male dentist, but my hygienist is a female, and I'd be perfectly comfortable with her if she were my dentist. She's actually trained to do things like give numbing injections, so I'd be totally okay with a female dentist just like her.

Like a previous poster said, the dentist I like best is the one who I trust not to hurt me.

I would prefer female they seem nicer and more sympathic

Prefer???? NONE!!!
If I feel any pain/renewed phobia, I would not care if they were GODDESS/GOD...they'd be gone.
Wish I needed NO dentist...PERIOD. Til that day comes, I'll stick with what I've got (not saying which!).

I've never had a female dentist, although my hygienist is female and is sweet and terrific (the alternate hygienist, also female, I've nicknamed "Rock Hammer M___", and is awful). I really don't care as long as they listen (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), don't judge, are competent and can get you numb with a minimum of injections), seem to understand my issues, and have something resembling a personality. And if they give nitrous and meet the former requirements, gender is a minor issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't matter. I have things I want fixed so I visit who is qualified to do so. I have seen both male and female dentists. Identify the situation, fix the problems, and give me good end results. That's all I ask for.

LOL Funny you mention blonde hair. Mine also has Blue eyes, and he sings to you! Tells jokes...etc. Dr. Robert J Parker, worth a trip from anywhere. (Hamden, Guilford and Clinton, CT) :) Best Oral Surgeon in town for very nervous patients. ;)

I prefer the deeper voice of male dentists͵ more calming.

Wow a huge amount of gender stereotyping on this (very old) thread. Surely, the issue of dental phobia and gender should not be connected; the issue is about the skills of the individual and how you connect with them. Could be male or female. I can honestly say that it never occured to me to choose a dentist based on gender.