• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Phobics prefer blondes - no, gentlemen!

I have never had a female dentist, but I prefer a man, odd and I don't know why. I think that when it comes to the pulling of a tooth, I think a man would have the better strength, although female dentists can obviously do the job. I never gave it much thought but, I feel safer with a man.

I'm a bit surprised at myself here because I don't believe in the jobs for the girls and jobs for the boys thing I think anybody male or female should do what they want.

How odd; this has made me think.

Very good thread as old as it is, I hope it gets going again, this is very interesting.

I think that when it comes to the pulling of a tooth, I think a man would have the better strength,

How hard do you think they are pulling Carole ?? :giggle: If they are pulling that hard then I don't want them near me, man or woman. :giggle:

How hard do you think they are pulling Carole ?? :giggle: If they are pulling that hard then I don't want them near me, man or woman. :giggle:

Well quite!! If they look like a 6ft tall body builder and they have hands the size of shovels, it's time to run...!!! :giggle:

I'm on dentist number 8 now; all of them have been male apart from one and she was not the gentlest creature on earth. Although she was quite cheerful and good natured, I think she might have been better suited to a career in the construction or demolition industry!

Given that all my bad experiences have been with male dentists, I thought I'd prefer a female dentist, but I don't. For some reason and I have no idea why, I prefer a male dentist. I think it could be perhaps connected to something that we were taught when I was doing my hypnotherapy training. It doesn't apply to everyone, but quite often, females seem to feel safer with a male therapist and vice versa. It does sound a bit sexist, but the thinking (in some circles...) is that, going back to more primitive times, the role of the male was to protect the female (and the family), therefore a female patient may prefer a male dentist for this reason and a male patient may prefer a female dentist because they would be perceived as less of a threat. Just a theory.

Of course, the fact that my dentist has very nice eyes and looks very fetching in his scrubs has nothing to do with it at all... :-*:p

Of course, the fact that my dentist has very nice eyes and looks very fetching in his scrubs has nothing to do with it at all... :-*:p

:hmm: Well quite !!!!!!!!!! :giggle: ...and you do get to see their eyes very close up for a long time, so that is important !!!

Made me laugh...Carole they don't "pull" teeth anymore. They really lift them out or use new cutting tools that are very much less traumatic...the old days of a dentist using his foot on the chair for leverage are long gone.

That is so true RP I know and I've had my fair share of foot on the chair pulling years ago. Funny story now, but not at the time. :o

Carys I know they are not pulling, but... but... but... I have no answer to this one. Lost for words, that makes a change doesn't it, once I get started on here I don't know when to stop. :giggle:

Vicky I would run a mile if my dentist was like a builder, but I still want a male dentist. Maybe I might feel more of a wimp with a woman as I am quite a strong and competent woman until I get into the dentist chair. It might be that as a woman I feel he might be more gentle and feel more sorry for me. I don't know. :confused:

Are you all ganging up on me here, you make one little slip of the tongue and this is what you get, what are things coming to. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

+1
Agree strongly. We are lucky. I'd rather stare at his eyes than those posters on the ceiling.
Gotta say that's part of my bias for a male dentist.

Hi Eshy I keep following you around on here. What posters has your dentist got on the ceiling mine only has cracks.

Hi Eshy I keep following you around on here. What posters has your dentist got on the ceiling mine only has cracks.

We follow each other because I look for new posts to reply to.... Which we'd have more of if those hundreds of lurkers signed up! But hmm yeah they used to have different thigs in each room. My first visit I was in the far back room to the left and there was nothing on the ceiling but a spinning fan. I kept trying to count how many pieces it had... I think I decided on 5. The other room used to have a picture of a lot of cute sleeping babies in butterfly costumes... But they took it down recently And now they have the same poster in all of the rooms... It's a scene of a coastal area with some really pretty blue water, some big rocks and I think some trees... I can't detail much further as I do not wear my glasses when I go to the dentist and I am near sighted!

But my dentist is super friendly and we are both comfortable with eachother, I feel like. I got a little bit of a less formal greeting yesterday when he came in the room without me hearing and let me know of his presence by putting his cold hands on my cheeks (was a surprise cause the chairs are not facing the door!)He must know I think he's a cutie!:)

He sounds like fun, so you got promoted from the the scrappy back room to up the corridor, must be favoured. DENTISTS PET. :giggle:

Removing your glasses saves you from trying to keep your eyes closed like I do, I don't want to see what is coming. I'd be outta there.

I've thought about wearing them cause I don't like having my eyes closed when all of a sudden tooth dust and water starts attacking my eyes. Makes me feel like I have a little bit of control to have them open even though I really don't. I don't like to be in the dark.

There's differences in rooms? I never knew, aside from that i get put in the ones where they has the tool drawers at.

Hey, question. Do you think they write down on your files whether or not you are a nervous patient? I've had several different hygienist ladies and they all seem to treat me like a baby (not that I mind) but they're always like, "you okay, sweetie?" ....

Or... Maybe it's my composure in the way I carry myself down the hall or sit in the chair staring at my blotchy hands.:redface:

I think they are trying to put you at ease. They sound really nice and kind.
I think we should play tag somewhere else now because we are in danger of highjacking this thread and it's not really fair.
So I'll catch you somewhere else.
'TIL NEXT TIME. :cool:

Haha. Yeah! Maybe we need a designated-random-collective-open-thread in the off topic section.

sorry, OP. :)

Cya later. We can just hijack my poll thread if need be, I don't mind.

Carole, you are funny :giggle::giggle::giggle: It was the image of a massive muscled man trying to wrench a tooth from your mouth....

I know, just imagine!!!!!!!!!!!! wait a minute, just another minute :innocent:

Oh well thats the end of that dream. :giggle:

Right now I have a male dentist but I would much rather have a female dentist because they seem more sympathetic and caring. But I don't choose my dentist my parents do. They also seem a lot more approachable to open up to. So I would go with a female dentist.

I've been doing some preliminary searches of dentists in the area. At this point, I think I want a middle-aged female dentist (I'm a guy). A female dentist younger than me I could not do. However, that will depend on my ability to easily reach the dentist in one bus ride, as I don't drive. Basically, I'm more comfortable talking to women, especially about something that is embarrassing such as the fact that I haven't been to a dentist in about 22 years. I'm afraid that if I said that to a guy, he'd get all high and mighty and really look down on me, and it would create an awkward feeling for me, someone who already has some social anxiety. I know it's probably not a good idea to choose a dentist based on whether you think you can talk to them, but when you don't know their skill levels, what other criteria can you use?

I think choosing a dentist based on whether you can talk to them is a great idea. in order to graduate from dental school they all should have the same level of skill (for whatever reason this isnt always the case and some are just bad dentists but ignoring these) so personality is probably the next most important variable. Infact a nice dentist may remove the need for IV in some cases. I needed IV for a clean with my first dentist but as I got to know him I no longer needed the IV.

I'm considering contacting a dentist's office that is right down the street from me, less than a minute walk (I also have one right next to me, ironically for a phobic). According to their website, the one down the street has a male dentist and a female dentist. If I choose to go with them, I wonder if it would be awkward for me to say that I want an appointment with the female (since the male's name is on the dental practice). I'm afraid that it would come off as pervy or something. Any tips? Should I just admit that I have anxiety and would be more comfortable with a woman (since I'd definitely mention my anxiety and absence issues anyway)?

I definitely prefer a male dentist. I have had a few female dentists in the past and I have experienced their moods/pmt/personal problems and general womens troubles whilst they are treating my teeth! sorry but us women are a mass of hormones and I think men are more focused on the job in hand, while women can have a thousand things on their minds, no thanks! plus men are gentler. Thats my opinion.