• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possibly strange question about dentures

GummyMummy17

GummyMummy17

:) Hi, I wanted to ask about this yesterday but I couldn't see anything on the forum.I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question and it's bugging me now:giggle:so I'm hoping one of the dentists or a fellow denture wearer will be able to clarify things:thumbsup:.

O.k, I went ten pin bowling Saturday night, we went as a family and there was quite a crowd of us.It was what they call Cosmic Bowling where the lanes are lit up with UV light.As I was about to have my go, my hubby said to me quietly " be careful smiling under the lights as you may glow" I thought :o:o:o !!! and wasn't sure what he meant so I dutifully took my go and as it was so rubbish I had no reason to smile:oops:.He then said that he remembers a song from years ago called the oldest swinger in town where the chap sings about the mans dentures glowing under the discoteques UV lights. I think this is because they used to put something in dentures that was radioactive , is that right?I tried researching it yesterday and I found that real teeth have natural phosphurs so would glow am I right in saying that? And that certain types of dentures fluorese in UV light but that I was thinking mine would look dark and in shadow, am I correct in thinking that? My dentures are the standard NHS ones, I'm not sure what they are made from but as they were cheap(compaired to what I know a lot of people can pay) I'm guessing they wouldn't fluorese.I'm thinking this as I would imagine it might cost more to make dentures from a material/substance that has properties closer to real teeth.

Any more information will be appreciated:thumbsup:It didn't spoil my evening but it did make me a little self conscious especially when I was bowling as I didn't want one of the little kiddies speaking to me and going "Eeurgh why are your teeth so dark?" or whatever:oops:.

Last edited:
Most denture teeth these days are made with a substance in them that glows in UV, so Fred Wedlock is no longer the authority on them :)

See I'm old enough to remember that song too!

is this really true??? do modern dentures really glow under uv light??? that seems almost unbelievable...

The dentures don't but the teeth do. It's just a case of adding some powder to the acrylic mix, why is it so hard to believe?

it's so hard for me to believe because who'd actually want their teeth to glow in uv light (eg on a night out in a bar etc)?? if they could make dentures without the 'glow', surely that'd be better, at least for the younger people who have dentures?!!!

Everyone's natural teeth glow under UV light. If they don't then it would look odd.

Back