• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post wisdom extraction - infected?

T

Taucher

I (41, male) had a fully erupted (but infected) lower wisdom tooth extracted five days ago. I was told there was sign of infection on the roots, too. The procedure itself was incredibly quick and I have had almost no swelling or pain ever since, to my surprise as I was terrified before. I was not prescribed antibiotics and had no stitches. It looks like it is healing ok. Gross but ok (I think). I have been swilling with warm salt water 4 times a day and careful what I eat. I do not smoke. I have no follow up appointment booked.

But I have had a constant strong horrible metallic taste and feel mildly run down, just tired with no energy despite sleeping well. Could I have an infection? The recovery is taking longer than I would have thought or what seems to be expected.

Last edited:
No, a post op infection is extremely rare, the symptoms are primarily lots and lots of pain.

You have had minor surgery, so expect some recovery time, wisdom teeth are funny we blighters, sometimes the most innocuous ones can give the worst recovery and vice versa.

Thank you Gordon I saw your message at the time but didnt reply. Its now eleven days after my surgery and of course you were absolutely right - I have had no infection and barely any pain or discomfort and its healing very quickly now.

Thank you.

T

Back