• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Problems with lower front partial denture

D

Darcianne123

New lower front partial. Anxious because after a week post op and I cannot eat with it in and it has already had a first reline. Does it just not fit?

I am worried that I will never be able to eat foods with it in. And I am having to remove it to eat. The dentist says it's fitting fine but I am not biting into anything, cutting my food into small pieces and chewing on both sides of my mouth and the partial still pops off. Super discouraged!

Darcianne123

Hello and :welcome: Not a dentist here but hope one answers. I can speak from experience having a lower partial. It was definately hard to get used to eating and it took some time.. progress will come little by little. Its awkward. If it keeps popping off definately go back and get it adjusted it shouldn't pop off too much. should be snug but able to get it off when needed. You know the fit better than your dentist as you are living with it, so don't be afraid to speak up :) I know I was worried at first of it popping off when eating.The denture adhesive can help.

Did you get the lower with metal attaching to teeth around it or valplast? The metal partials seem to hold on a bit better , I've had experience with both.

take it little by little. it will come in time.

Great answer KR, nothing to add to that :perfect:

Darcianne123

Hello and :welcome: Not a dentist here but hope one answers. I can speak from experience having a lower partial. It was definately hard to get used to eating and it took some time.. progress will come little by little. Its awkward. If it keeps popping off definately go back and get it adjusted it shouldn't pop off too much. should be snug but able to get it off when needed. You know the fit better than your dentist as you are living with it, so don't be afraid to speak up :) I know I was worried at first of it popping off when eating.The denture adhesive can help.

Did you get the lower with metal attaching to teeth around it or valplast? The metal partials seem to hold on a bit better , I've had experience with both.

take it little by little. it will come in time.
Thank you so much! I am 10 days in so I know I need to be patient. I have the metal front . The lower teeth were pulled because of a failed gum graph that was done 10 years ago for one lower tooth. All 4 lower teeth became compromised. Devastating to loose all 4. Until it fits properly I can at least remove it to eat. I am so happy to be part of this forum because it's so nice to know I am not alone ❤

Hello! Asking a question that hopefully will make me feel better if I should getting back in to my dentist this week. My lower partial is now 11 days in. My first reline was last Wednesday when they removed the stitches and applied the temporary soft underbase to help the partial fit . The partial still moves when I try to eat and I have applied a small amount of Poligrip to the lower right saddle. Should I apply the Poligrip to both back saddles (one saddle has the soft underbase) or get back in this week for another temporary alinement? I am hoping that there is someone here who has experienced the same thing early on !

You've not had a single adjustment since the reline was done? I'd go back in then.

Adhesives are just a short term crutch.

Hi Daricanne123,

I'm with Gordon, I'd totally go back and get it checked.. especially if its popping off alot. doesn't hurt and dentists know there is an adjustment period and figure you to come back a few times. That is what my dentist told me..

I know for me ,, I always had issues coming back , or thinking I'm going too soon, or being a bother.. I've had a talk with my dentist about it.. actually a few and they all said. basiclly, no way Kelly, we want you to come back, we want to make sure everything is ok for you! So make sure to let them know if you need to :).

Thank you! I don't want to be a bother and in fact when I went back in to have my stitches removed I broke down in the dentists chair and felt so bad that I lost it a bit. I guess it's been about once the teeth were pulled that's it no turning back. They all.have been extremely kind and understanding and I am glad I found this forum.to ask questions and feel better that if the partial is not fitting right than it's okay to raise my hand!

I was always a bit anxious if a patient didn't come back for an adjustment, I always assumed they weren't wearing the dentures :)

I think that there is not enough information for first time people going thru this. I am 55, not young, but did not do anything to cause my tooth loss. At the tune of $7000 16 years ago I tried to save the lower tooth, gum graph and braces, and boom..all 4 lower teeth compromised and had to be pulled. Mentally so shocking and all of a sudden have to wrap my head around it..what's normal, what to expect, what to be patient for. And can I eat. Not blaming my dentist but I am so glad I found this support group. I am doing everything they are telling me but it's an adjustment period and I don't know what is normal!

Darcianne

You are so right.. It is really an adjustment! a huge one. and alot to learn and alot for your body to adapt to. . and yes, mentally shocking is a good word. You seem like you are doing everything you can to make the most out of it and adjust. I agree, they don't have a ton of information and sometimes dentists don't prepare you as much as they can with info on this change. This really is a hugely great group!

Hello, thank you for your kind words. Lots to take in and one day at a time. I would like to see them give a hand out about what to expect, do's and don't etc. I was told not to.soak.my partial.with the soft lining reline as it can remove the stuff they put In until.the final adjustment. I am confident that they will be patient with me ..