• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Random out of NO where pain when biting?

A

armokid77

Hi there! So I recently just had tooth #2 on my right side extracted, & a while back had tooth #15 extracted on my left side. I’ve been eating nothing but soft foods on my left side since the extraction (of the tooth on my right side) & all of a sudden today I’m getting pain when biting down on tooth #14. This came literally out of no where & I don’t know what could be causing it. So far there is no temp. sensitivity, but when I brush my teeth that seems to irritate it as well. I wear a mouth guard every night so i’m pretty sure I didn’t crack it but I can’t even imagine what else could be causing this. If anyone else has any input that would be awesome. Thank you!:)

Hi there! So I recently just had tooth #2 on my right side extracted, & a while back had tooth #15 extracted on my left side. I’ve been eating nothing but soft foods on my left side since the extraction (of the tooth on my right side) & all of a sudden today I’m getting pain when biting down on tooth #14. This came literally out of no where & I don’t know what could be causing it. So far there is no temp. sensitivity, but when I brush my teeth that seems to irritate it as well. I wear a mouth guard every night so i’m pretty sure I didn’t crack it but I can’t even imagine what else could be causing this. If anyone else has any input that would be awesome. Thank you!:)

It is possibly just referred pain or your jaw acting up from all the recent work. The main nerve in your jaw may need more time to heal.

It is possibly just referred pain or your jaw acting up from all the recent work. The main nerve in your jaw may need more time to heal.

Could that cause pain in one tooth on the complete opposite side though? It's just like so bizarre because it came on so suddenly & I literally cant even chew soft foods on it without immediate pain. The pain is also when I bite down, not when I release. So frustrating, the tooth problems just never seem to end!

Could that cause pain in one tooth on the complete opposite side though? It's just like so bizarre because it came on so suddenly & I literally cant even chew soft foods on it without immediate pain. The pain is also when I bite down, not when I release. So frustrating, the tooth problems just never seem to end!

My dentist said it could. She said when you have work done, it can make you hyperaware of the other little pains, and that chewing primarily on one side can cause pressure pain from overuse.

My dentist said it could. She said when you have work done, it can make you hyperaware of the other little pains, and that chewing primarily on one side can cause pressure pain from overuse.

That's wild wow I never knew that. Alright well I wont run to the dentist to have it looked at just yet then, still need to finish healing from the extraction too! I'm just so paranoid since I've already cracked two molars & had to get them both pulled I cannot afford to lose any more teeth :cry:.

That's wild wow I never knew that. Alright well I wont run to the dentist to have it looked at just yet then, still need to finish healing from the extraction too! I'm just so paranoid since I've already cracked two molars & had to get them both pulled I cannot afford to lose any more teeth :cry:.

I understand. I had a root canal, which failed, then had a wisdom tooth extracted (was impacted), then had a molar on the opposite side need a filling replaced, which has never stopped hurting. I had it looked at twice, and both times it came out normal in vitality, even though it aches constantly. Now I am supposed to wait another month. I also just had an apicoectomy on Friday, in a last ditch effort to save the failed root canal tooth. So I know what you mean about one thing after another. Prior to this summer, I hadn't even had a filling for six years.

I would go with whatever you are comfortable with. If it is really hurting, you might want to get it checked out. I just wanted to share what my dentist said, and that I have been having referred pain all over in my mouth

I understand. I had a root canal, which failed, then had a wisdom tooth extracted (was impacted), then had a molar on the opposite side need a filling replaced, which has never stopped hurting. I had it looked at twice, and both times it came out normal in vitality, even though it aches constantly. Now I am supposed to wait another month. I also just had an apicoectomy on Friday, in a last ditch effort to save the failed root canal tooth. So I know what you mean about one thing after another. Prior to this summer, I hadn't even had a filling for six years.

I would go with whatever you are comfortable with. If it is really hurting, you might want to get it checked out. I just wanted to share what my dentist said, and that I have been having referred pain all over in my mouth

Wow I am so sorry to hear that that sounds beyond frustrating:(. I hope you get to the bottom of that never-not hurting tooth no one should have to deal with that. & I'm honestly just going to baby it & use Sensodyne for a little bit & see what happens. I have zero insurance $ left after my whole extraction mess & I just cannot fathom that this tooth is now damaged as well. We'll see what happens. Prayers for us both :innocent:.

Wow I am so sorry to hear that that sounds beyond frustrating:(. I hope you get to the bottom of that never-not hurting tooth no one should have to deal with that. & I'm honestly just going to baby it & use Sensodyne for a little bit & see what happens. I have zero insurance $ left after my whole extraction mess & I just cannot fathom that this tooth is now damaged as well. We'll see what happens. Prayers for us both :innocent:.

Yep, my insurance maxed out on the first root canal, so mine is out of pocket, and I have gone through my savings, so I am praying mine stops hurting because I cannot afford another root canal and crown. The one that I just had the api on may end up needing to be extracted if the surgery didn't work, and it would have to be done at an oral surgeon, which is big bucks. Ugh. I do NOT understand why insurance is so expensive, yet covers practically nothing but preventative care.

Back