• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really need advice about impacted wisdom teeth?

B

bmwv10

Hi guys. So all the dentists are arguing that it is necessary to remove impacted wisdom teeth; however, I don't trust them because we all know how much this surgery costs and how much money they make of this surgery.

I really need an advice from someone that has/had impacted wisdom teeth.

Right now I am 22 yrs old, I think my wisdom teeth have stopped growing, it's impacted, under the bone probably, it did push my other teeth, therefore, my teeth are not very straight so I will need to get braces.

So my question is, is it really necessary to remove my impacted wisdom teeth if it's not causing any problems right now? No pain, it already stopped growing.. I don't see the point, the surgery is very expensive and complications are common and usually very severe. I would rather use that money to straighten my teeth..

Thanks for advices!

Hi, my wisdom teeth finally came in so late my dentist had figured I was one of the rare people whose wisdom teeth would never erupt (or whatever you call it)! He's retired now but I loved that dentist and trusted him totally--even tho I shook like a rabbit on every visit!! He was able to remove my other wisdom teeth himself, and it was no big deal--he used nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and novocaine and it was NOT bad at all! Then we discovered I had an impacted wisdom tooth--he said it had to be removed, and I promise you he wasn't saying that to make money! (He had removed my "normal" wisdom teeth cause they're hard to clean, nobody needs them or even sees them, and eventually they will get around to causing nothing but pain and trouble--I haven't missed them at all!)

Impacted wisdom teeth are a whole different thing. I just had one, it wasn't hurting either, but it had trapped some dental floss against a back tooth and could have caused a serious infection if they hadn't removed the floss stuck there. And my dentist said that it may feel fine now, but asked me if I really wanted to be jolted awake about 3 AM some Sunday (you know that's when emergencies always happen lol!) feeling horrific pain?! I agreed--not a pleasant prospect! So I said, "Okay, if you will do it--you're the only dentist I trust!"

He smiled and said, "Honey, I'm flattered, but this is more complicated than a simple extraction. You need an experienced dental surgeon for this. I know a couple of dental surgeons here in town and they're both great--just make an appointment with whichever one can see you first." (They worked in the same office.) I whined and pouted but he was firm--this tooth needed more than just pulling out *cringe* and it needed an expert.

So very reluctantly I made the appointment and it was seriously all much ado over nothing!!! The oral surgeon was very kind and gentle, he explained what they were going to do, and he gave me my beloved laughing gas and plenty of pain-killers! ;) It was over before I knew it and he gave me a prescription for some pretty strong pain meds before I left--my mom had to drive me home since I was still a bit woozy!

Honestly--I was all worried over nothing! The oral surgeon said my dentist was totally right, that impacted wisdom teeth sooner or later will act up in an extremely unpleasant way, and the only right way to deal with them is to have them removed.

My experience was totally positive. I am very glad I had that impacted wisdom tooth removed--nobody can tell and it won't be causing me any problems EVER!!! Good riddance to it! ;D

They let me pay in installments, I bet your dentist/oral surgeon will do the same. I've had all my wisdom teeth removed now, but if I had any left, and one or more were impacted, I would have them removed without a second thought--and I have a severe dental phobia!!

Truly--you will be so glad you did it!! Wishing you the best of luck! :clover: :XXLhug: :jump:

Last edited:
Wow thanks for such a detailed response. I am glad everything went fine for you.

It's a good thing that you only had 1 impacted wisdom tooth; however, I have all 4 of them impacted :( That's why I am very worried for complications. Also, doctors say that it's better to get this type of surgery before you turn 25 years old, because your body can heal faster. The thing about my body is that even though I am 22 yrs old, my health is pretty poor.. I don't heal fast.. For most people it takes a few days to get over a common cold, for me it usually takes 2 weeks or even 3 weeks because I always have complications and end up having a strep throat each time. That's why I am so worried if I should take a risk taking these 4 impacted wisdom teeth out when I know my body is not a quick healer and also, I have a pretty low count of white blood cells so I am very susceptible to infections. So I just needed to know if impacted teeth WILL FOR SURE cause me problems in the future..