• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Really struggling right now

I so get it too, people don't want to talk dental, they get bored after 2 minutes and wonder what is the big deal and want to get on to a topic that is of interest to them. They have no idea the impact it has had on some of us and that is has really took every once of courage to keep going on the journey and do every step we do. Thank God for this forum for sure!! You do have friends here. and alot of people rooting for you and sending positiive thoughts and prayers..

I understand and just want to offer my best wishes and support. I have a root canal scheduled on my upper second premolar because it’s cracked with a giant old filling and it needs crowned. I’m terrified because the last three root canals I’ve had still hurt after a year with no obvious reason why. This past week my incisors and canine are now hurting on the same side and super painful/reactive to cold, air, my tongue. I feel like now I’m root canaling the wrong tooth and/or going crazy. It takes weeks to get in to see the endodontist, who thinks I have a nerve issue...and every consult is nearly $300. My dentist mentioned my body might think a RC tooth is a foreign body and is trying to push it out of my mouth - hence the pressure feeling. But neither of them can give a for sure reason why any of this is happening. My dentist doesn’t do root canals so seeing him for pain is just paying for a referral to the endo. I have spent thousands on work and consults this past year and am still in pain. My fear is at an all time high now after it being nearly gone. I understand how you feel and wish I had some good advice for you! Do you need your second molar replaced? Could you just use one molar on that side? I understand the frustration and desperation - especially feeling like no one can understand/relate or provide help, answers, etc. Hang in there. Hugs to you.

Yes, you have been through the wringer as well. Luckily my endodontist is sympathetic. She didn't charge me for the consult and x ray today...she said I have paid her enough money for stuff that hasn't worked.
I would have been fine with just one implant on the first molar, but I had the implant rod already put in on the 2nd molar 8n October. So there will be a gap if I don't put another one in. Ugh.

Very sorry the news was not good. It's so hard to continually have to come up with the courage for appointment after appointment and procedure after procedure and then be faced with poor outcomes. I totally understand just wanting to take a break from all of it.

All the hugs. :XXLhug:

Not good news. The tooth had lingering sensation after endo ice. Endodontist said it needs a root canal. I am opting for extraction. This really is hard, as I already have the other molar out on that side, so I will have no molars on the bottom right.

I am definitely not okay right now. I have a consult with the oral surgeon for May 10.

Well, new development. I am now getting the tooth extracted on Monday (and bone grafting done) at my regular dentist's office. I called to let the receptionist know of my decision to go ahead and extract and to send the x rays to the oral surgeon, and just asked if they would have anything earlier than May 10. She laughed and said my dentist was booked until late July right now. Then she kind of gasped and said they just had a cancellation for Monday, and they could get me in. No sedation, though, so I am freaking out. I think I just need to get it over with, though.

My husband surprised me and is taking off Monday to go with me. I think he is happy to get it over with so I don't talk about it for the next month. He will make sure I don't panic and leave. I really don't want to do this, but I think getting it done sooner than later will be best. I was really wanting a break, but now that I know it has to come out, I would just worry about it getting super painful.

Good news they can get you in so quick. I’m happy you have your husband for support and to keep you from canceling?.

So glad he is going with Mountain Mama! and that you can get in then.. will certainly be thinking of you.. you are brave , strong and amazing.. even when you don't feel it.. you have more strength than about anyone I know...

I, too, don't know what to say, want to something that will help, and am so sorry you're going through this. I read this with my heart in my throat for you And needing a break from it, and not having someone who gets it, even despite wonderful intentions... it's overwhelming. Can WE do anything to help you, apart from listening and being a community to you?

So glad he is going with Mountain Mama! and that you can get in then.. will certainly be thinking of you.. you are brave , strong and amazing.. even when you don't feel it.. you have more strength than about anyone I know...

I don't feel strong...just desperate to be out of pain and get this tooth out before it starts getting infected. The x ray showed no infection at the root yet, so the endodontist said it was really early, but that the lingering sensations meant it was coming eventually.

I, too, don't know what to say, want to something that will help, and am so sorry you're going through this. I read this with my heart in my throat for you And needing a break from it, and not having someone who gets it, even despite wonderful intentions... it's overwhelming. Can WE do anything to help you, apart from listening and being a community to you?

I appreciate having a place to vent and get support. The part that scares me is knowing that my other lower first molar is also cracked and has pain off and on, so it will eventually go bad as well. I am NOT going to get it crowned now. I will just wait until it hurts bad enough that I can't chew anymore, then get it extracted.

I appreciate having a place to vent and get support. The part that scares me is knowing that my other lower first molar is also cracked and has pain off and on, so it will eventually go bad as well. I am NOT going to get it crowned now. I will just wait until it hurts bad enough that I can't chew anymore, then get it extracted.

Oh wow. Soo so sorry to hear all this. I’ve been away from here for awhile but have grown fond of the people here so I pop in once in a while. I’ve also still been having some jaw issues on the opposite side of my extraction in January. My dentist I believe now is truly the worst Anyway, I was so hoping things were getting better for you. I can’t imagine however can relate with no one wanting to hear about it. It’s like with my hair issues. The meat mention of things is an immediate eye roll and change of subject. It’s hard, sad and frustrating. Where is the compassion anymore? I always said no one understands unless they walk in my shoes ? I truly hope things start to turn around for you. Big hugs and many prayers and good vibes your way ❤️

I emailed my doctor last night and she called this morning and wrote me a prescription for lorazepam for the dental appointment. My dentist is closed today but I will call first thing Monday morning and make sure they are okay with me taking it.

Glad you got some Lorazepam.. I can see the push and pull in this, sounds like you had made a decision without really feeling of having a choice. Hope your husband will be able to support you and make the appointment a bit easier.

You mentioned you have another cracked molar. If it helps, I do have a cracked molar as well, can't chew too well on that side, but it's still better than facing a treatment with unsure outcome, so my dentist agreed we would just watch the tooth and let it be as long as possible. It can take a long time for things to get worse, so you might keep your other molar for a long time as well.

Glad you got some Lorazepam.. I can see the push and pull in this, sounds like you had made a decision without really feeling of having a choice. Hope your husband will be able to support you and make the appointment a bit easier.

You mentioned you have another cracked molar. If it helps, I do have a cracked molar as well, can't chew too well on that side, but it's still better than facing a treatment with unsure outcome, so my dentist agreed we would just watch the tooth and let it be as long as possible. It can take a long time for things to get worse, so you might keep your other molar for a long time as well.

The cracked molar flares up now and then. Today it has been hurting all day with a dull burning pain, but the endo checked it yesterday and it was fine, so I am assuming it is just aggravated by the testing yesterday. It is the only side I can chew on for the next 8 to 9 months now, though, since I will be getting an implant on the other side again. I am just going to be super careful about what I eat.

Just popping by and had to write and say how sorry I am to read that you haven’t had a break yet! I totally get where you are coming from. It’s just all too much at times.

The last thing my dentist said to me after my recent treatment and a break I’m now on (??) was to get my confidence back. Meant the world for that to be reflected back, he could clearly tell it was getting too much to cope with but I (we) had no choice but to plot on and find and treat the infection. The treatments and the long time it took to get things settled was horrendous and I’m still looking over my shoulder one month on. It’s even hard to come here but I wanted to check in with others that supported me.

.... you will get a break and your confidence will rise but for now it’s good you have support here, your husbands time and presence and the drugs! I’m so sorry you have to have this extraction ? it can really feel helpless but you seem to spring into action mode when you can and it’s needed, so trust yourself. You are handling this well despite the anxiety.

Just popping by and had to write and say how sorry I am to read that you haven’t had a break yet! I totally get where you are coming from. It’s just all too much at times.

The last thing my dentist said to me after my recent treatment and a break I’m now on (??) was to get my confidence back. Meant the world for that to be reflected back, he could clearly tell it was getting too much to cope with but I (we) had no choice but to plot on and find and treat the infection. The treatments and the long time it took to get things settled was horrendous and I’m still looking over my shoulder one month on. It’s even hard to come here but I wanted to check in with others that supported me.

.... you will get a break and your confidence will rise but for now it’s good you have support here, your husbands time and presence and the drugs! I’m so sorry you have to have this extraction ? it can really feel helpless but you seem to spring into action mode when you can and it’s needed, so trust yourself. You are handling this well despite the anxiety.
Thank you, Sally! I am really glad to hear you are gettting a much needed break!

I am back. I don't know that the lorazepam helped much, but I think it did slow my racing heart, which made the local anesthetic work better. Even so, I had to have 5 injections. He did the typical two, and came back and asked if my lip was numb. I said it was tingly but not numb. So he gave me another shot. Then came back and poked at the inside of my lip, it pinched, so he gave me two more. Then I was numb.
It was really hard to take, since tooth extractions are my biggest fears. The tooth broke and he had to dig out all the roots. One curved root would not come out and he had to drill away a little bone to get it out. It took quite some time. I didn't feel any pain, though!
It freaked me out because he put bone grafting in, but didn't cover it or stitch it. So it is just a huge open hole packed with thw bone grafting granules. The oral surgeon always sewed a membrane over the top, and added a collagen plug to the upper molar extraction. I am so worried that the bone grafting will just come out. He said he never stitches and it always goes just fine. So far, the pain is minimal. The numbing is wearing off, and it is about time to take a tylenol.

Really good to hear from you. I've been thinking of you all day. (Especially as I was driving into work this morning.)
I'm so glad that you have made it through and you're now on the other side. Try not to worry about the graft. (Easier for me to say than do! )It sounds like the dentist is very confident it will be fine. I hope you are feeling very proud of yourself. I think you deserve to treat yourself now. Take it easy x

Well done! You made it through. x

I am going to have a really hard time getting used to all that space. On that side, all I have after the front bottom tooth is a lateral incisor, a canine, and one premolar. My tongue doesn't know where to rest, and it lands on the extraction site, which hurts.

Positive news is that the pain really is minimal. I remember the 2nd molar extraction being super painful the first three days, but one extra strength tylenol every 6 hours is working great. Hopefully that continues.

Back