• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Reminder - Posting Guidelines

If anything, I would think that the combination of incredible consistent support, thoughtful professional advice and great sense of humour may have actually even prevented a few people from possibly turning into phobics down the line.

This is a very good point. There may be an element of a preventative effect. As people become more informed on their general dentistry issues, they may feel more confident when visiting a dentist and are less likely to accept unnecessary pain or rush into treatments without getting a second opinion. This may therefore prevent phobias in the longer term. A non dental example of a proactive preventative approach is bereavement counselling for children to prevent long term mental health problems. As people who post here have a chance to talk about their dental problems prior to treatment, this could be seen as a form of counselling and therefore may prevent phobic behaviour later on.

One answer to having too many posts is simply to just leave as is and those that are answered are ok to stay, those that do not get an answer within say two months should be either deleted or moved. People don't always expect a dentist to answer. They often just want to discuss the issue with others.

Just wanted to say thanks to the volunteers who run this forum - your advice is very reassuring and helpful to those of us who are phobic and thus control freaks and want to be able to anticipate everything that might happen to us when we finally get it together to go to the dentist. I find the general dentistry questions as helpful as the phobic-centric questions in terms of making me feel like my dental issues are manageable and not as horrific as I have built them up to be in my head. Your efforts are much appreciated. Of course, don't let that guilt-trip you into continuing to answer general dentistry questions!! I wonder if only answering questions that are truly new in that they haven't been answered before, and referring others to the dentistry questions archive would be helpful in cutting down the hours you spend answering questions. I've found a lot of answers by viewing the archive but I know it's easy to ask first, then search the archives later which must be a little frustrating for the moderators.

BTW, there's no need to be hatin' LC with mean PM's as she's a truly lovely person (she's quite hot in a skimpy bikini too!) and has been gracious enough to provide this free forum for the benefit of the public.

:redface: - no, no, no, Zzz... you got it all wrong :cry:... the forum is just a pretext for assembling that dental toyboy collection for my Dental Toyboys 2009 Calendar (see dentaltoyboys.biz - strange, the site seems to have been temporarily suspended :shame:). 3 down, 9 to go... so Mike's suggestion of finding some more, err, "talent" is very welcome indeed :).

Toyboys aside, we're taking all your comments on board so do keep the feedback coming :thumbsup:!

cool- can I be Dr December?

Leave the best till last, eh ;)? OK, but only if you promise not to tell the others (or they might get a little jealous!)

OOoo :respect: well you will have to reserve a couple of months at least to fit all of me in. I may extend into November. :whistle: I've always wanted to be someone's toyboy! Buuut hold on a second there, this calendar is purely for women riiight? Nooot that there's anything wrong with being admired by both sexes - it's just um more comfortable knowing the ones drooling over me are women, that's all. :innocent: