• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Sinus Perforation after extractions

  • Thread starter Thread starter MissMae
  • Start date Start date
M

MissMae

Junior member
Joined
Nov 5, 2025
Messages
5
Location
Florida
Hello, I have severe anxiety when it comes to the dentist, it started as an adult after some traumatic experiences I had on a couple of occasions. It has been almost 10 years, after having a dead tooth and then breaking another tooth, the pain got unbearable and I was forced to go to an emergency dentist. My original dentist I had previously would not pull the tooth because of it being so close to my sinus cavity, which had happened to me on the other side. The sinus cavity was perforated and the dentist fixed it with a membrane and I never even noticed it, it healed fine. This time however, I don’t know if the membrane didn’t hold or it was just a lot bigger, but I could tell it wasn’t right. The dentist I went to told me he repaired it, not to blow my nose or sneeze. The usual precautions. But after a week I was still experiencing the communication as I could not talk right, I am unable to use a straw and can feel the air coming through my nose when I close my mouth as well as liquids. The dentist said let’s wait a month and see if it closes. However I feel like it’s been over a month and still feels just as bad. I am supposed to go back Friday to check on it but I am petrified, and have been told that this was too long and I should go to an OS or an ENT. I’m not sure what to do, but I was able to use nitrous for the last 2 extractions when I went and even still I was in panic mode. I know I need to go back to get this fixed as now I have a bad sinus infection too. But what is the fastest and best route? Going back to the general dentist or skipping that and going to an OS or ENT? I don’t know how insurance would work either if I’d need a referral or what but any advice to get this done and over with would be appreciated as I am already dreading the visit.
 
They do normally heal up spontaneously, so waiting is still a reasonable option (obviously I haven't seen you or the size of the fistula).
The surgery to close them is fairly simple but I realise a lot of US dentists don't do much surgical work so it may be better to get an OS to do it. Starting point would be to speak to your dentist and ask them for a referral to their tame OS practice.
 
Thank you! I am worried the amount of air I can feel going through it isn’t just a little bit, the other side I think also has a smaller one but he said that one didn’t perforate. But I think I can feel it on both side if I close my mouth and breathe through. I ended up with laryngitis and a bad sinus infection which has been a disgusting experience. I can literally feel it coming out the one extraction hole. My nerves to go back are just shot. Lol thank you for your reply! I have rescheduled for next week so hoping to get it over with.
 
Back
Top