• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

something (bone??) protruding from extraction site!!

K

ktina

Had an extraction on molar # 3 ??? (upper 2nd from back) 3 months ago, had had 2 root canal surgureys on it previously and was waiting to have it capped(crowned). It broke or shattered before...scary.. so then the extraction(couldn't b saved). Of course there were complications...the PAIN & more PAIN. So the newbe doc tells me I should of seen a oral SURGEN..."i was sweating" during the procedure he tells me 4 days after when I call him wondering why my face hurts soooo bad, thanks doc. Present time , 3 months later something is growing out of the side of my upper gum line, what the f......i almost vomit:o, a tumor? a growth? it kinda hurts and whatever it is its coming OUT no matter what i do. A piece of root left? doc reasurred me he got it all...he did call me in a nice script but i hope he is going to be responsible for whatever he left from the last surgury.....scared too death..HATE oral surgury and kinda pissed he f'd it up in the first place. Could a simple xray could have prevented this in the first place??? help guys???

Hi Ktina & :welcome: I am not a dentist, but have had multiple extractions. It sounds like what you may have going on is what they call a bone spicule, or bone sliver trying to work its way out. This is perfectly normal, but can be quite painful. Most times these spicules are reabsorbed, but occassionally they work there way out through the gums. If it is causing alot of discomfort, the dentist can simply nudge them out for you. Once the spicule is out, you should be fine. If you choose to wait for it to come out on its own, it usually take a few days. You can try applying some numbing medicine on the area to help with the pain.

I am sure the dentists will be on soon with some more input. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Nothing to add, that's a perfect reply.

Freakout is so good with her replies and I'm seriously considering (are you reading this Freakout) of going along to her for my mini implants!!!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks Gordon;D Good to know that going through my dental ordeals has served a purpose...ability to help others;)

Scared Stiff...while I have gained knowledge through my experiences...I think I'll leave the actual work up to the professionals;), but I am here to lend all the support you need:XXLhug:

you know.. I am having the same thing = a funky little point on the tongue side of my last extraction in October.. it was ALSO the tooth next to the crown that just popped off yesterday..

makin' ME think now......

Back