• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taste and smell issue with filling. Poisoning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Concernedsocks
  • Start date Start date
C

Concernedsocks

Junior member
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Messages
1
Hi. Around a year ago I had a big filling put on one of my back teeth and a few months ago during a checkup I was told the filling was broken and was asked if it was causing me any problems. I said no since it wasnt , and the decision was made to leave it for the time being.
Over the last week I've been experiencing strong taste and smell of metal. This metallic taste and smell seems to increase when I brush over the filling, but in truth I have it all day. Reading online I hear lots of stuff about mercury poisoning, and I'm wondering if its possible that's what I'm experiencing now?
I have felt off with headaches and my stomach has been bad, and I'm pretty worried after reading these things. Does it sound like I'm being poisoned? For the record I'm from the UK.
Thanks
 
Hi. I just thought I would respond because I had a large filling in which the back part of my tooth broke off around a month ago. I was able to schedule an appointment to get it filled with a composite filling two weeks later. Let me tell you, during those two weeks, my stomach was messed up like you wouldn't believe. I was always nauseous, I had a constant earache and ear stuffiness (I couldn't hear well out of the ear that was on the same side on which the tooth was located), a constant dull headache, and my tongue was swollen on the side where it would rub up against the metal filling. I thought my stomach upset was due to anxiety, which I suffer from, but I noticed that after the tooth was repaired, my upset stomach went away the next day. I didn't have the smell or taste of metal, but I did notice that my taste was affected. Everything tasted off, and very bland. Now, I don't know if it can be classified as a poisoning, but it definitely did not do good things to my body. So, I would suggest you get it fixed as soon as you can, because I know how unpleasant it feels. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top