• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

telling family

• Thread starter truly_terrified
  • Start date
I don't feel there's any hard and fast answer to this one - so much depends on your and your dentists' personality and temperament. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with whatever means of communicating your fears you use. Some people prefer to put things in writing, others prefer not to (says she, who only managed to blurt out "I'm terrified"... :p). Some people feel the need to discuss their background or reasons for their phobia, whereas others don't feel it's important that their dentist knows exactly why, or feel uncomfortable with going into the details.

Basically - whatever you feel comfortable with (though "comfortable" may be too strong a word ;D)!

Hi tt and a rather late :welcome: from me!
That's fab news about your practice manager and dentist!
I know what you mean about being afraid to tell anyone. The only friend I've told is my best mate, and I could only tell her when I was sedated and therefore can't remember anything about it...how's that for terrified. She's been brilliant, and was upset that I hadn't felt able to tell her before.
What I'm struggling with now is how to tell people at work: I will leave on Friday looking like Goofy, with horrid sticky out teeth, then return after a week's leave with lovely new teeth. (I'm having extractions and partial dentures fitted.) I know it will be bl**ding obvious to everyone, but I'm too scared/ashamed to tell them.

Thanks everyone, for your advise. I think I shall try writing my fears in letter and then hand it to the dentist before the appointment. This is going to be interesting because I have never written my fears down before, but have now got some helpful suggestions of where to start thanks to my friends on this site.

I hope if things go well for my appointment I will be able to offer some helpful suggestions to others, because I now know how much help you have all been to me :cheers:

Just to add that i wrote down all my fears and handed it the dentist I saw recently and it went really well, I thought It was better as when he asked me what scares me the most I was already in tears and couldnt speak so handed it over. It was a very succesfull appointment as I knew that he knew EVERYTHING that scared me!

Hi again tt,

Please try writing all your fears down, or at least some of them..it really does help. I found that, taking the diazepam the night before my appointment works wonders. i seem to find the words i want to use, easier to write down.....albeit it just a scribble lol.

There is also a sample letter to be had at "whatfear.com" (i'm sure thats where ive seen it) but someone please correct me if I'm wrong),

:grouphug:

Yes, there's a sample letter and questionnaire here:

broken link removed - an alternative sample letter can be found here:

Last edited:
Phewwwwww Thanks for that lets, I thought maybe i'd got it wrong! Knew i'd seen it somewhere lol (should have checked before i posted tho)

Thanks for the suggested letter, I will try that.

By the way, how can I get diazepam? Is it safe? :confused:

By the way, how can I get diazepam? Is it safe?

Your dentist may prescribe it for you, or suggest going to your doctor for a prescription. I normally take 5mg the night before to calm me and help me sleep, and 2.5mg before my appointment just to calm me enough to get there!

Diazepam (Valium) can be prescribed by a GP or dentist. As it causes drowsiness, it is recommended that you do not operate a motor vehicle while under the influence. It has quite a long duration of action (24 hours).

A natural alternative is "Rescue Remedy", which is available in all pharmacies and natural health stores. Rescue remedy will not prevent you from driving, and an overdose is not possible. It can be taken as often as you like. Some people swear by it, while others have found the effect to wear off with prolongued use. The best idea might be to try it for yourself. There are no contraindications that I'm aware of.

oops, sorry - I was posting at the same time as Happy :redface:

no need to apologise lets :)

I havent worked out how to add links yet ..... I'm still a beginner on the pc lol