• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

They're telling me it's neuralgia again - don't believe

E

elizv

Former Member
A few years ago my ex-endodontist told me there was nothing wrong with my tooth and to see a neurologist. The Neuro didn't know what was wrong and classified me as Atypical face pain. I had none of the symptoms of nerolgia. Six months later they X-ray me and find out I was right all along and that the tooth was accessed. They fixed it.

Now the other side had a root canal and apico. The pain from the apico healed and started to get better but then started to get worse. My new endo said it's fine and that I might have nerolgia. I don't have the symptoms of nerolgia and I told him my whole story but he suggested I see a different Neuro. He said pulling the tooth is unlikely to solve to pain.

I had the apico 3 weeks ago. I am going to have it pulled out next week.

It seems like the Nerologist referral is common, correct? I really don't think there's anything wrong with me besides my tooth. But hearing that again is making me very worried. I'm perfectly healthy and 37 years old. I would appreciate your thoughts. It's going to be awhile before it's pulled and healed and I'm worried sick. Thank you.

I'm sorry to be such a pest but does anyone have any advice? I am not holding up well and have a few days to go before the extraction.

The pain isn't horrible and I really don't think it's neuralgia but I'm really worried. Thank you.

Sometimes these things are hard to diagnose. I would see at least two endodontists and 1 excellent generalist along with a high resolution CBCT before considering neuralgia as a diagnosis.

Thank you so much. So you think it could be it? I though you said it was rare. I don't seem to have a lot of the symptoms so I'm not sure. The neurologist last year said I didn't have it and it ended up being tooth related. This other side feels the same. It's just a mild/moderate ache that is controlled with OTC pain meds.

I have an appointment with my GP and a new Neurologist in a few weeks after they pull the tooth. In the meantime I am panicking. I have young children and am worried sick. After going through this all before on the other side I don't know who to believe.

Last edited:
What was the outcome after tooth extraction?