• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Think Mum went to Dentist & booked me appointment

Re: Think Mum went to Dentist & booked me appointm

I also feel a MASSIVE sense of embarassment and shame about the state of my gums.

I know my Gums are like this, coz i haven't been for regular check-ups. Is 8 years since i last saw any Dentist. (and so i haven't been getting them cleaned by the Hygenist) :shame:

I'm scared that the Dentist will get angry with me :shame:

why would they get angrey at you its your mouth not theres i used to think the same thing they will get mad at me at growl because of the state of my teeth thats the reason i didnt go for years

hi issy
you can get some tablets called mottilium 10 from chemists. its what i take for nausea.
you take it before meals but i also take it whenever i get that horrible feeling that i feel sick and within 15 minutes i feel better. as for the dentist try not to cancel it. on the 18th jan last yr i was the same as you and my husband had made me go he drove me there and dragged and i mean dragged me across the car park,i was screaming like a small child. it has been a long tough road but now i go on my own :)
i had LOADS need doing and the 11th july will be my last appointment which will mean i will have been going once a month for 18 months!. you can do it i was terrified and had seadation at first but with the help from people on here and a lovely dentist i can honestly say its not that bad :) stick with it . :grouphug:

CanadianLad said:
why would they get angrey at you its your mouth not theres i used to think the same thing  they will get mad at me at growl because  of the state of my teeth  thats the reason i didnt go for years
When i was little i was yelled at by a dentist - coz a baby tooth was going yellow ( he thought i hadn't been cleaning it properly) :shame: :cry: :cry:

Since then i've always been teriffied of the dentist shouting at me. :cry:

Issy said:
When i was little i was yelled at by a dentist - coz a baby tooth was going yellow ( he thought i hadn't been cleaning it properly)  :shame:  :cry:  :cry:

Since then i've always been teriffied of the dentist shouting at me.  :cry:

My first dentist (I saw him from when I was about 2 or 3 years old right up until I was 15 and stopped going) used to shout at me and say some really awful things because I was terrified. He even used to get the nurses to hold me down (even though I wasn't moving) or if he was feeling particularly nasty, he used to do it himself :hidesbehindsofa:.

It's perfectly normal to be scared that the same thing will happen again if it has happened before. BUT.... they are not all like that. It's true. If you stop and think about it for a minute.... If dentists were generally horrible to their patients, shouted at them, made them feel bad etc, then there wouldn't be very many of them in business would there? Their patients would either stop going to the dentist altogether, or look somewhere else.

When I eventually went to see a dentist 7 years later (when I was 22), I was scared of the same thing happening again because I'd never experienced a normal appointment where nothing bad had happened. It was very different - the guy I saw was really calm and patient... Even though I was shaking and terrified, he just stayed completely calm and was really nice about it. I'd convinced myself that I was going to get 'the lecture' about why I hadn't been for so long, but that didn't happen either. He just said that I was there now and that's all that mattered.

The way that dentists treat their patients is very different nowadays - most realise that patients can be worried or scared and so that's why the first 'chat' appointment is so important. It's your chance to let them know what you're worried about and then they can come up with a way to help you. The fact that he's suggested that this appointment is for a chat is a very good sign :). It means that he wants to help... that doesn't sound like someone who's going to shout at you does it? :).

You haven't got anything to lose by going to this appointment Issy... You've got everything to gain :).

Issy said:
When i was little i was yelled at by a dentist - coz a baby tooth was going yellow ( he thought i hadn't been cleaning it properly) :shame: :cry: :cry:

Since then i've always been teriffied of the dentist shouting at me. :cry:

aww sorry to hear some dentists can be morons(sorry to any of the good ones in here not tryin to offend ya) i had one dentist like that when i was younger but he was always drunk well i think he was or at least you could smell it in his office sorry to barge in on your board i hope it all goes well for you you can do it :)

vicki said:
My first dentist (I saw him from when I was about 2 or 3 years old right up until I was 15 and stopped going) used to shout at me and say some really awful things because I was terrified. He even used to get the nurses to hold me down (even though I wasn't moving) or if he was feeling particularly nasty, he used to do it himself :hidesbehindsofa:.

It's perfectly normal to be scared that the same thing will happen again if it has happened before. BUT.... they are not all like that. It's true. If you stop and think about it for a minute.... If dentists were generally horrible to their patients, shouted at them, made them feel bad etc, then there wouldn't be very many of them in business would there? Their patients would either stop going to the dentist altogether, or look somewhere else.

When I eventually went to see a dentist 7 years later (when I was 22), I was scared of the same thing happening again because I'd never experienced a normal appointment where nothing bad had happened. It was very different - the guy I saw was really calm and patient... Even though I was shaking and terrified, he just stayed completely calm and was really nice about it. I'd convinced myself that I was going to get 'the lecture' about why I hadn't been for so long, but that didn't happen either. He just said that I was there now and that's all that mattered.

The way that dentists treat their patients is very different nowadays - most realise that patients can be worried or scared and so that's why the first 'chat' appointment is so important. It's your chance to let them know what you're worried about and then they can come up with a way to help you. The fact that he's suggested that this appointment is for a chat is a very good sign :). It means that he wants to help... that doesn't sound like someone who's going to shout at you does it? :).

You haven't got anything to lose by going to this appointment Issy... You've got everything to gain :).
Sounds like we both had the same experience with our old dentists. I was also held down on various occasions :cry: and mum wasn't allowed in the room with me :(
I saw this Dentist age 4 - 13.

Then moved home and saw the another dentist till i was about 15 (just like u) ! (and i'm now 22)

I know not all dentists are horrid and mean - but because i've only experienced bad things - I can't see them being any different :(

Just sooooo scared about all this and finding it all overwhelming.
Seem to be spending loads of the days in tears :shame:

Issy said:
I know not all dentists are horrid & mean - but because i've only experienced bad things - I can't see them being any different  :(

That's exactly how I felt. Because I'd only had really bad experiences up until I was 15 and then 7 years of not going to a dentist at all, I didn't know any different. It took a long time for me to start facing up to things, but now that I've found someone who is very patient, very gentle, very understanding and most of all, has a sense of humour (and believe me, he needs one to cope with me!), I am making progress... just as you will too. Common sense says that there must be plenty of understanding and patient dentists out there... there wouldn't be so many people posting success stories on here otherwise :). But hard as it might be, you have to take that first step and give it a try, otherwise you'll never know.

Even if you don't feel comfortable with one particular dentist, it doesn't mean to say that they are all the same... You can shop around until you find someone you feel comfortable with - you're the customer now and you *do* have a say in things :).

Issy said:
I'm off to my Gp tomorrow. Hopefully she'll be able to give me something for my sickness / Nausea. :)

I'm also gonna tell her all about my anxiety & phobia of the upcoming appointment. I'm praying she will have some solutions & things i can do to relieve my anxiety :)

Although i'm completely petrified - i'm feeling bit better & more in control,now that i'm actually doing something constructive about it :)

Will let you know how it goes.
Just wanted to say good luck with seeing the doctor. Thinking of you.
Snail

scaredsnail said:
Just wanted to say good luck with seeing the doctor.  Thinking of you.
Snail
Aww thanks  :)  Feeling really nervous about it. :( (coz i hate the doctors as well )

Issy said:
Aww thanks  :)  Feeling really nervous about it. :( (coz i hate the doctors as well )
So how did it go?

scaredsnail said:
So how did it go?
Hi
It went well - she was so supportive and understanding and caring :)

I explained all about my phobia of the dentist and my anxiety's of my upcoming appointment (can't write it all down,coz it would take too long !)

She given me some anti-sickness meds. But she said i need to address my anxiety, instead of continously taking sickness meds.

I've been given a list of Herbal Remedies to buy - they all do different things to calm my anxiety :)
Also given a sheet of Relaxation and Breathing Exercises to do :)

Then 3 days before my appointment, i'm going back to her to get some Valium :)

Oh yeah,she also talked about Hypnotherapy. I've had it once,so know a Hypnotherapist i can see if needed :)

I'm so glad i went to her. I was there for 1 hour talking about it all !!

:)

p.s. Her Husband also suffers from dental phobia

That's super -- I'm so glad you went. Well done! :jump:
She sounds like the right kind of doctor, too, taking time to listen and giving helpful suggestions.
That's a huge step forward for you, Issy. How are you feeling now? I'd guess maybe a bit shaken, even though it's all so positive? I think you can definitely feel proud of yourself for today. :XXLhug:

scaredsnail said:
That's super -- I'm so glad you went. Well done! :jump:
She sounds like the right kind of doctor, too, taking time to listen and giving helpful suggestions.
That's a huge step forward for you, Issy. How are you feeling now? I'd guess maybe a bit shaken, even though it's all so positive? I think you can definitely feel proud of yourself for today. :XXLhug:
I'm feeling exhausted & emotionally drained - coz i was in tears for lots of the appointment.
I am so relieved and happy i've done it - but it was all to much and as soon as i got home i burst into floods of tears. Just couldn't stop crying.

I'm off to buy everything tomorrow & that email hasn't been done yet. Gonna wait till i feel a bit stronger. can't do anything atm.just so weak and exhausted from that appointment !

My top left Wisdom Tooth is aching soooooo badly. :cry:
The gum round it is all swollen and hot. My cheek is swollen and my jaw aches :(

I'm scared it's infected :o

I'm going back to Gp tomorrow (if i can get appointment ) to get some Anti Biotics.
Will gp know what sort to give me ?

IT'S HURTS SO BADLY :o:cry::cry: :( :(

Sorry to hear that, Issy. :(
Did you manage to see the doctor?

Back