• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Thisismyjournal (thisisme)

M

MountainMama

Just to let everyone know... I’ve sent the emails. :(:frantic::cry::sick:

(Those are all my emotions...)
Good luck! I just wanted to comment on the allergy. I have a nickel allergy (and slight allergy to other metals as well). I still can’t wear earrings, even ones that are nickel-free. I can’t wear a watch, unless it is plastic, as the metal rubbing on my skin causes a rash. However, I had braces for three years as a teen, at the same time I discovered my metal allergy by getting my ears pierced. It never caused a problem with my braces. The only thing I noticed was that if my lip or cheek got irritated by an overlong wire, it always turned into a canker sore.

T

thisisme

Good luck! I just wanted to comment on the allergy. I have a nickel allergy (and slight allergy to other metals as well). I still can’t wear earrings, even ones that are nickel-free. I can’t wear a watch, unless it is plastic, as the metal rubbing on my skin causes a rash. However, I had braces for three years as a teen, at the same time I discovered my metal allergy by getting my ears pierced. It never caused a problem with my braces. The only thing I noticed was that if my lip or cheek got irritated by an overlong wire, it always turned into a canker sore.
This makes me feel so much better. I’m so worried my lips would swell or I will have a horrible reaction. The memory of being a little kid on the counter while my mom tries to get an earring out of my swollen ear will always be with me. 😬 I will never risk ear piercing again because of it. I do have issues with a few new necklaces rubbing against my skin but I never break out. It’s just a bit itchy. It’s weird because I’m not really allergic to much, so I don’t understand. I’m still terrified about adult braces, but I’m trying to do baby steps.

T

thisisme

I never heard back on either orthodontist email, so I’ve pretty much just took a break. I try to remind myself that my teeth and healthy and they are mine, and it’s okay they are not perfect. I will pursue that route eventually, but I feel stuck right now. I’ve been preoccupied with work and other things, so I moved it down on the priority list.

I had a first date last night and kept wondering what he must think of my teeth, but it seems like he wants a second date, so maybe they aren’t as bad as I think they are.

I had to reschedule my check up appointment this week because I got invited to a fancy work dinner for women. Like the dinner plate is more money than I make in a week, so I feel obligated to go. I’m a bit annoyed at my dental office who has seemed to shifted their appointments reminders to some outside company. I received an email over a week ago as a reminder and there was a form to reschedule. So I did. Never heard anything back. I got a text over the weekend to type C to confirm. Then, I got a reminder call from the service today. It felt very impersonal and it’s disappointing. So I had to just call them, which I guess is a lot of progress, considering I couldn’t even think about doing that months ago. Thankfully, I got a person at the office and was able to reschedule for the end of the month. I’m not super nervous but it is nice that it is a little postponed. 😂🤷‍♀️

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thisisme

Glad you were able to get someone and get rescheduled :)

". I’m a bit annoyed at my dental office who has seemed to shifted their appointments reminders to some outside company. I received an email over a week ago as a reminder and there was a form to reschedule. So I did. Never heard anything back. I got a text over the weekend to type C to confirm. Then, I got a reminder call from the service today. It felt very impersonal and it’s disappointing. "

Yes, Ditto... same thing with my dental office.. they are going to a more automated system and texting.. the worst part about this is they have traded this also for the one day aftercalls to see how you are doing they send a text saying. "this is your dental office following up on your procedure, please let us know if you have any questions of concerns.."

SUPER disappointing. they used to always follow up the day after , and I always felt that was such a nice personal touch and that they cared.. This... does not feel like that.. I know he's an emergency dentist and gets busy but even if the front office staff called instead of some impersonal generic text..

ok.. off my rant.. it just doesn't feel caring at all :(.

T

thisisme

Thisisme

Glad you were able to get someone and get rescheduled :)

SUPER disappointing. they used to always follow up the day after , and I always felt that was such a nice personal touch and that they cared.. This... does not feel like that.. I know he's an emergency dentist and gets busy but even if the front office staff called instead of some impersonal generic text..
I’m glad I’m not alone. The personal factor is what drove me to that office, so who knows how I’ll feel now.

It seems like the world does not want me to go to the dentist. Bummer. ;) COVID-19 has shut down my dental office and they called me today to reschedule. I didn’t answer. It makes me too nervous. Hopefully, I’ll answer next time they call.