• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth adjacent to extracted tooth is loose and it hurts when biting

C

cheesepim

Hello, all. I posted here because I am highly anxious of going back to the dentist. I also do not think I can visit a dentist again straight away because I live 2 hours away from my dentist and I have a busy schedule at work. I am so stressed about going back and I fear tooth extraction. Long post ahead, really need advice.

Last Thursday, I had temporary filling for my 1st molar. Come few days later, last Tuesday, my 2nd premolar started to hurt when I push it up or bite down. I tried going to my dentist the next day even though I was anxious of going and I was told that she couldn't accommodate me and that I should get an xray. That night I realized the the pain in my 2nd premolar subsided when I bit down but the pain went to my 1st premolar. Worried sick, I rushed to a new dentist today and was told that it was referred pain that I was experiencing because of my 1st molar. Well, today, I opted for extraction instead and that's what my new dentist recommended me to get because my tooth was already damaged So early today I got my 1st molar extracted, but right now (it's already evening here) I just realized that my 2nd premolar hurts again when biting down. My dentist told me that there was nothing wrong with it. Please nvm the pen marks on my xray, as those teeth need dental filling in the future. You can see in the xray my 1st molar which obviously had a temporary filling. Do you think there is a problem with my 1st and 2nd premolar on my xray? I am really worried. My 2nd premolar hurts at the moment when I bite down and I cannot eat on the left side of my mouth, and when I wiggle it it moves and it hurts a little but not too much. I don't want to get it removed because it'll be obvious when I smile. I'm not sure if this is a serious matter but it's totally worsening my anxiety and I cannot function well. It's only been around 7 hours since I got the extraction and there's already blood clot on the extracted tooth, but I am still putting cotton on it every 20 mins because my anxiety is making me bite down my teeth so much and it hurts my 2nd premolar.

BTW: When my dentist tested my 1st and 2nd premolar earlier if it hurt before my 1st molar got extracted, they didn't. Now it's hurting again.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 12
Premolars look ok as far as I can tell on X-ray. It does look like you have pockets round the pre molars which would explain them being slightly mobile. This is a perio issue though and can be helped with regular deep cleaning and making sure your oral health regime is flawless.
The teeth will also be feeling tender as you’ve just had a tooth pulled.
So I would recommend that you leave the socket alone to heal. Try not to bite down and stick to soft foods just now to let the extraction socket heal. It’s difficult to reason with anxiety when you’re in that frame of mind but i hope you get some reassurance from this

Premolars look ok as far as I can tell on X-ray. It does look like you have pockets round the pre molars which would explain them being slightly mobile. This is a perio issue though and can be helped with regular deep cleaning and making sure your oral health regime is flawless.
The teeth will also be feeling tender as you’ve just had a tooth pulled.
So I would recommend that you leave the socket alone to heal. Try not to bite down and stick to soft foods just now to let the extraction socket heal. It’s difficult to reason with anxiety when you’re in that frame of mind but i hope you get some reassurance from this

Hi, thank you for this. I do not like the taste of the blood and I have been putting cotton balls on my extracted socket for over 10 hrs already because there's still a bit of blood coming out of it. I replace the cotton every 20 minutes. Do you recommend I stop putting cotton balls or is it ok if I continue doing it? The cotton has also helped me from trying not to bite down on my teeth.

Yes stop putting the cotton in. You need to let the socket clot if you keep disturbing it by biting on cotton it will continue to bleed. You will find that after a couple of hours of leaving it alone it will stop bleeding. Allowing a clot to form is vital in the healing process. I understand it is difficult especially when it’s making you anxious

When I got my 2nd molar extracted, my 1st molar, premolar (I only have one set), and canine tooth hurt for over a week. The pain would shift and it drove me crazy thinking there was something wrong with them. Then they just stopped hurting.
Leave them alone and try to avoid biting on that side for a few days. It is referred pain from the extraction.

Could be they've irritated the premolar in the course of extracting the 1st molar, it can happen if the dentist uses the premolar as a fulcrum to extract the molar, if that makes sense? It's likely to settle down fairly quickly, is it improving now?

Could be they've irritated the premolar in the course of extracting the 1st molar, it can happen if the dentist uses the premolar as a fulcrum to extract the molar, if that makes sense? It's likely to settle down fairly quickly, is it improving now?

It doesn't hurt as much anymore when I bite down, but it's still very loose. I'm trying not to touch it anymore so it wouldn't worsen but I had to check because you asked. I do have high hopes that it'll get better since it doesn't hurt as much now. :) Thank you.

Edit: I do remember when he extracted my molar, he had a bit of a hard time doing it. So that might've caused some sort of trauma.

I don’t have any advice (obligatory “not a dentist”), but I do send encouragement.

I think you’re going to be okay.

Good luck and keep us posted.

That should be a good sign, sounds like they've overloaded the premolar by using it as a fulcrum to lever out the molar. It should recover fully in a few more days.

Hi all.

Just an update:

The pain has subsided already. I can even eat on that side of the mouth, however, the tooth is still.. loose? I've also noticed that the other molar next to the adjacent one is loose too. It's not that loose but it moves when I touch it. Will this still recover?

Hard to say without seeing you, it sounds like it will recover from what you've said so far :)

Back