• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready to b

24 Hours Post Wisdom Tooth Esxtraction,

Ok moving along, yesterday evening thinks got pretty uncomfortable. All the numbing had worn off earlier in the day and 2 of the 400 mg Motrin were not getting the pain under control so I had liquid diet and iced a lot.

I have to say though (and I will post his name on the Dentists recommendation thread), my Dentist is one of those medical professionals that are hard to find these days when everything is about quick visits and billing hours. At 9:30 p.m. last night my Dentist called and spend at least 10 minutes with me on the phone seeing how I was and giving advice. It not only made me feel like I was in the hands of an experienced professional but was actually being cared for. Big difference.

This morning after 8 hours of good sleep I had a liquid protein shake, an antibiotic, and no Motrin so far but may consider one for prevention. There is mild pain (perhaps more soreness than pain).

I still feel a little weak and shaky but a lot of that is this liquid diet (I may graduate to mash potatoes and mac and cheese by this evening), and also the antibiotics which sap energy.

My Dentist told me considering there is bone grafting, plus the membrane and sutures dry socket is not something to be concerned with but to continue to follow the typical post op instructions.

Anyway I will continue to update. I have a lot more work to be done in the near future. I do not look forward to it, but my level of phobia and anxiety is far less once I get through this initial extraction that I had been avoiding for over three months. Even with the pain of last night, I have to say the continued and escalated anxiety weeks (and months) prior to this procedure were much worse.

Take care. Would like to hear a report in from others that had their appointments yesterday as well as those with upcoming appointments.

Be well,

Alice :))

Re: Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready

Hi sweetheart!! I'm so glad to hear from you!! I had all my teeth extracted yesterday. The bleeding has mostly stopped, I'm still oozing though so I wake up from naps with a mouthful of bloody spit. I did my first salt water rinse today and it felt heavenly!

Unfortunately because I had so many teeth out. My face has swollen up, it's not painful but very hideous looking lol

Re: Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready

Fantastic news, anxiousalice! :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Your dentist sounds like a real sweetheart. A lot of times what sets the great ones apart isn't their technical skills, it's special treatment like this. Now that you know your dentist really cares about you, it will make it easier to trust him on future work.

Definitely stick with the post-op recommendations, soft food should be fine by now.

The best part is, you're out of pain and should be good as new for next week's event! By then your socket will be healing up nicely and you should be past worrying about your extraction at all.

I'm so proud of you, GREAT job getting it taken care of, and I'm glad your research led you to a fantastic dentist. It's all progress from here on out!!! :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Well done Alice.
Sounds like you are going to be just fine. Your dentist sounds like he has your best interests at heart and will take good care of you.
Onwards and upwards!

Lincoln

48 Hours Post Opy

Well the extraction and bone graft was Tuesday which makes me 48 hours post op this morning.

Still some discomfort. No intense pain or anything and right now not enough to take Motrin.

My stomach feels a little better because I have graduated from liquids, jello and yogurt to having oatmeal and mash potatoes. This evening if all goes well, I'm moving on to mac and cheese. Amazing how all this soft food can taste so good.

I am still apprehensive about dry socket or anything to cause pain or slow healing. I know I had a bone graft and stitches but want to be sure I am very healed for my event which is 8 days away.

I have some sinus allergies so doing all I can not to couch, blow nose, spit etc:

Wish me luck.

What is the time frame when I really don't need to worry about dry socket or any problem with the extraction site?

Alice

You're well past the dry socket stage now at 48hrs plus. I really don't see the point in the soft diet either. Unless you actually like eating that kind of stuff :)

Back