• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wanted to share positive experience yesterday

R

Rihrose

Bit of a back story.
I've been have dental procedures since I was little overcrowding, 9 teeth removed, bone on roof of my mouth removed braces ect) I developed a fear of the dentist. As a young adult I never went back for years resulting in having to have a lot of extractions and bad experiences.Fast forward 15 years (today) and I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment. I've been in agony for months.

So yesterday I had an appointment to remove 2 teeth (upper left molar and lower right molar both broken) my lower right was quite sore. The night before my appointment it flailed up and I woke up to a swollen face and very sore tooth. I woke up at 4am to go to the gym as usual. I couldn't. I was too scared about my appointment lol then I found this site. I browsed stories for hours.it calmed my nerves quite a bit, reading the success stories 100% helped.

I went to my appointment and then it started. Shaking crying before I even got in the door. The dentist was lovely and so was the nurse. I got my first 2 injections and I couldn't believe that I didn't even feel the first one. Not even a pinch. The needle in my infected area on my right side wasn't bad either. Just a pinch. I was still shaking and crying but somewhat relieved. She poked around and removed the left tooth. I didn't feel a thing and it was over within a minute. The second tooth took 5 injections to numb (due to infection) the injections didn't hurt. Just an uncomfortable pinch. The tooth came out. That was it. I actually cried after from relief and happiness? Lol she said I won't feel much pain at all once the injections were off. Sent me home with some gauze and that was it. I will say once the injections were off my left side was fine. No pain at all. However my right side felt like a tooth ache. So much pain and swelling. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol as directed but nothing. I even took a valium just made me sleepy with pain. I called the dentist (which I was anxious about as I didn't want to be a pain in the butt) and they wrote a script for panadole forte. After taking the forte no pain at all. I can tell when its wearing off so keeping track of when I have to take it helps heaps. I wasnt given antibiotics but a dr had subscribed me some a couple of days ago for a cut just in case it didn't heal. I talked to my chemist and say said I should take them as my face is quite swallon.
I have to go back for a filling in 3 weeks. And let me tell you I have NO fear of going back. This site has helped me so much. I felt I should share even the pain bit as I want to be honest. Its managble with meds so please don't be afraid to ask for pain meds and antibiotics if your having work done on an infected area.
If I can do this, any one can. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. I hope mine helps too. Now to not get dry socket lol happy healing ?

Rihrose,

This is a Great story!!!:welldone::wow::dance2: so happy you got through this and did it and now people will read your story and also be encouraged .. I hope your healing goes well and smooth!!

Bravo!

What a great report. You did so well.

Keep it up.

well done, feels like a slight weight has been lifted from your shoulders doesn't it?

well done, feels like a slight weight has been lifted from your shoulders doesn't it?
Yes absolutely! We have some 2nd year dental students visiting my work for the week so get them to have a look and make sure I'm healing ok and it's all good lol I think I'm almost over the worry of dry socket too which is another big relief

Fantastic news, hope everything goes well with your filling in a few weeks time.. do report back please

Bit of a back story.
I've been have dental procedures since I was little overcrowding, 9 teeth removed, bone on roof of my mouth removed braces ect) I developed a fear of the dentist. As a young adult I never went back for years resulting in having to have a lot of extractions and bad experiences.Fast forward 15 years (today) and I finally bit the bullet and made an appointment. I've been in agony for months.

So yesterday I had an appointment to remove 2 teeth (upper left molar and lower right molar both broken) my lower right was quite sore. The night before my appointment it flailed up and I woke up to a swollen face and very sore tooth. I woke up at 4am to go to the gym as usual. I couldn't. I was too scared about my appointment lol then I found this site. I browsed stories for hours.it calmed my nerves quite a bit, reading the success stories 100% helped.

I went to my appointment and then it started. Shaking crying before I even got in the door. The dentist was lovely and so was the nurse. I got my first 2 injections and I couldn't believe that I didn't even feel the first one. Not even a pinch. The needle in my infected area on my right side wasn't bad either. Just a pinch. I was still shaking and crying but somewhat relieved. She poked around and removed the left tooth. I didn't feel a thing and it was over within a minute. The second tooth took 5 injections to numb (due to infection) the injections didn't hurt. Just an uncomfortable pinch. The tooth came out. That was it. I actually cried after from relief and happiness? Lol she said I won't feel much pain at all once the injections were off. Sent me home with some gauze and that was it. I will say once the injections were off my left side was fine. No pain at all. However my right side felt like a tooth ache. So much pain and swelling. I took ibuprofen and paracetamol as directed but nothing. I even took a valium just made me sleepy with pain. I called the dentist (which I was anxious about as I didn't want to be a pain in the butt) and they wrote a script for panadole forte. After taking the forte no pain at all. I can tell when its wearing off so keeping track of when I have to take it helps heaps. I wasnt given antibiotics but a dr had subscribed me some a couple of days ago for a cut just in case it didn't heal. I talked to my chemist and say said I should take them as my face is quite swallon.
I have to go back for a filling in 3 weeks. And let me tell you I have NO fear of going back. This site has helped me so much. I felt I should share even the pain bit as I want to be honest. Its managble with meds so please don't be afraid to ask for pain meds and antibiotics if your having work done on an infected area.
If I can do this, any one can. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. I hope mine helps too. Now to not get dry socket lol happy healing ?
Congratulations on your success from a friend who shares your past traumas and bad experiences. It just goes to prove that with the right people and the right care and support, even the seemingly impossible is very much possible!

Very well done, and hope your onward recovery is smooth and straightforward.

From dental heaven with love. Simon

Back