• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth hole still not closed, how long does it take?

B

BrunetteBabe1005

Hi everyone! I am new to this site. I wanted other peoples input. I got all four of my wisdom teeth out back in October 2013. Two of them were impacted on my lower jaw, and the upper they weren't impacted. Well the surgery and everything went smooth, but I still have a gaping hole on my lower right jaw where my wisdom tooth use to be. Food gets stuck in there and everything, and it's been 6 months. All other teeth are closed up. I just don't get it. It doesn't hurt, I have no pain. It's just a gaping hole still there. It closed somewhat, but it's still open. When I got stitches out which was a week later after the wisdom teeth extraction. The oral surgeon said "You have a crevasse on this side because we had to do more on that side but everything looks good!" That was back in October though, and it's April, and the hole is still there. I scheduled an appointment to see them next week, but I am scared. I also don't know if this normal? Is it cause it was impacted? Thank you! Please answer, cause I am having so much anxiety! I don't know if this is normal? :(

Hi there, I'm not a dentist, but I had two impacted wizzies in my lower jaw taken out recently. I would say it probably took about 8-11 months for the extraction sites to heal completely, and by completely I mean both the jaw bone and the gum tissues healed.

It sounds like the surgery to extract your lower right wisdom tooth was a bit more extensive, so the extraction site there could take longer than the others to heal. Consult your surgeon to make sure everything is fine.

Back