• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess after extraction on hard palate

R

rebeccauk

I had my two upper front teeth extracted on Thursday, over the weekend I have developed an extremely painful bump on the hard palate behind these teeth. It is constantly throbbing and I have had two nights without sleep. I emailed my dentist with a picture and he said it was most probably an ulcer but with the extreme pain I find it hard to believe this is only an ulcer. Is it possible to get an abscess after teeth are extracted?IMG_1621.jpg

I spoke to my dentist this morning and he has not examined me but has prescribed antibiotics. I am so worried that things are going wrong after my extraction. My gums are still swollen and they are turning white. Can anyone help?

My breath stinks, I have terrible taste in my mouth and I'm so swollen I can feel my gum pushing my upper lip upIMG_1665.jpg

Symptoms sound like post extraction infection, but I'm not a dentist. Antibiotics are, I'm assuming, the appropriate course of action in that case. Did your dentist set up or mention wanting to see you again to be sure the infection clears?

Were both or one of the teeth that you had extracted infected? Did your dentist prescribe any RX mouthwash to use after your extraction?

Sorry for the gross pictures.

Dentist hasn't examined me as he's closed this week but we've talked on the phone and by email extensively. He thinks that the immediate denture has cut into my lower palate when I swelled up after the extraction. I had to take my immediate out pretty soon after extraction as I was so swollen it was hurting so bad but by then it had probably cut into me. I am now left with a large ulcer - it's actually bigger now than can be seen in these pictures but instead of being white/ greyish as the pictures show it's now clear/ pink. I think the antibiotics are working to clear the infection but guess they wouldn't resolve a mouth ulcer as that's down to my body to rid the inflammation.
Both teeth were abscessed and infected when extracted. I've got some OTC mouthwash which I've used for the last 3 days but it's starting to make my neighbouring teeth extremely sensitive and sore as I have outrageously sensitive teeth so I may try and cut back with it.
The dentist has offered to see me tomorrow or Monday but I'm not sure what else he can do at this stage...I assume it's just a case of waiting for the ulcer to go away but I'm getting worried as I have to be back to work on Monday and I can't go in with teeth missing.

It isn't an abcess unless it is actually swollen and it looks more like a dry socket with the top layer necrosing. You are going to need to visit your dentist and have a dressing placed. I'm afraid this is going to take a while to heal up, therefore you may need to stock up some strong painkillers. You may consider rinsing with corsodyl as this is is antibacterial.
Antibiotics wouldn't work unless you have a bacterial infection and your dentist is very negligent to randomly prescribe that to you without assessing you first.

I hope you get better soon as that looks nasty.

IMG_0008.JPGThanks for the replies. I went to my dentist on Friday and he confirmed dry socket. However he didn't place any dressing as he felt that granulation had started to happen - is this right so early on? It was 8 days after my extractions.

I was already taking amoxicillin but he has given me metronidazole on top of that. Not too sure why as I thought dry socket was not an infection?

Pain wise I'm not suffering too badly at all and I find it hard to believe it's dry-socket as I had such fear for having that. I had one night of terrible throbbing pain (the 4th night) which passed quite quickly. Generally I'm ok although every so often I get a shooting type nerve pain in the left socket which goes on in waves for maybe up to an hour and then settles down again.

This morning part of the 'clot' came out but it was hanging down by a thread anyway and hasn't been covering my extractions.

Does everything here sound ok? I'm concerned if I have dry socket that the pain could fire up again.

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back