Nat said:
I have an overwhelming need to cancel my upcoming appointment in June

I nearly did it yesterday but stopped myself, no idea how I managed that but the feeling is so tempting right now. I guess I am just being silly but I seriously dont think I can go through with it.
..... I have my mum coming about 300 miles from home to come with me, I feel like such a child and dont know what to do
Hi Nat
Sorry to read how worried you still are. Please try re-reading all your posts from the beginning if you can bear it....you may then realise that this opportunity to get yourself sorted out is too good to pass up.
That lady at the Health Authority who arranged for this dentist to see you, clearly didn't just pass you off on any old dentist with space on their list...which she could have done and still fulfilled her job role on paper. Instead she got you in with one whom she trusted; and whom she knew had the best chance to help you..with i/v sedation available. This lady deserves some flowers when it's all over!
It's understandable that you are finding the long wait so frustrating and worrying; but I really think the reality will be much more positive than you are currently imagining.
From what I've read, i/v sedation is bound to work fine, it is oral sedation which is hit and miss; and varies from person to person, like hospital pre-meds before GA (never work for me) but the GA does of course!!!
Remember there have been no negative accounts of I/V sedation on here. I personally had no real afterpain after wisdom teeth being removed - I had not heard of dry socket, so didn't worry about getting it..maybe there's such a thing as being too well-informed???
As I said before, your 'very nice sounding' dentist is going to be expecting you to be nervous and probably in tears - you don't need to worry about the state you will be in, because he has already reacted extremely well to your 'doing your worst' and he knows you a bit better now, so if anything he's likely to be more sympathetic (if that's possible) not less.
You said elsewhere your partner wasn't going to come in to the treatment room with you - if you're really so worried, I think you should consider asking him or your Mum to come in, just to give you moral support until you're under, then he/she can wait outside. By not having them there, you're putting too much pressure on yourself to be composed...as I said, you do not need to be composed..someone to lean against as you walk through the door, he/she can hold your hand while they put the i/v in.
It's great that your Mum is going to come to support you..is that with the kids afterwards? Another reason to be less tense about it...you will have extra help so you will be able to recover properly.
What's the date in June? Please don't cancel because you will undoubtedly regret it.
![Group Hug [smiley=grouphug.gif] [smiley=grouphug.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/grouphug.gif)