• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

fearing the worse!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nat
  • Start date Start date
He was very reassuring wasnt he! I know that one of my work mates is going to the dentist today so I have asked her not to tell me any stories that will scare me, heres hoping she remembers!!

I sometimes think I am being extremely irrational about all this, a little scratch and then it will feel like a few minutes then it will be all over, I keep thinking to myself this time tomorrow it will be all over and done with and I wont be this worried about it the next appointment, which is on the 5th of July for a porcelain crown and a clean, I know that I wont be losing this much sleep on that upcoming appointment which is definately a good thing!!
 
[smiley=jumping.gif] I had to post this jumping smiley first Nat because ............ do you realise just how positive you are thinking right now BEFORE your first appointment?? You are already thinking about your next appointment.............a huge and very positive step in my opinion.
Tomorrow my post will consist of loads of jumping smileys for you [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Hi Nat
Great that you are feeling more positive   ::) - can I quote you on that comment that you'll be more relaxed for the next one??? See you know it's true - you will be. If your work colleague does forget - remember whatever she says will not apply to you - you will be sedated and you've got a nice dentist  :-*. She may have your old one!   [smiley=scared.gif] Probably best not to ask.  People delight in telling negative stories cos let's face it, a positive experience isn't so interesting. Although often they are talking about afterpain for which you can take medication.

I do remember a brief period in the late 1970's when people started saying things like 'I went to the dentist's yesterday and it was surprisingly okay actually, didn't even feel the injection'.  I remember my A'level German teacher saying this as if it were earthshattering news - obviously for him it was! I used to answer that yes I didn't really mind going these days but for me; and it still is the case, owing to one particularly bad experience as a child, anything's fine so long as it is not painful.

Fortunately I never seem to feel injections - I can relax so long as the dentist's chairside manner or lack of it, doesn't make me nervous.

Actually anything's fine is not strictly true as I also have to be made to feel comfortable; so I have to choose with care, particularly in a different country where attitudes to pain relief are slightly different.

So basically who the dentist is, is the most important factor even in 2006, when in theory it can all be done virtually painlessly even without sedation.

Nat, once you find these good dentists you have to stick with them - I'm sure you will.
I've been glued to the laptop today but as I feel a bit under the weather it's probably better for me than trying to do loads. Soon be time to pick up the kids.
Speak again no doubt
Brit
 
I went to see him about 10 minutes ago, he has said I can take a homeopathic remedy and he made light of everything, he even patted me on the back and said just think, this time tomorrow your going to done, I do feeel a bit calmer now that I have seen him so I am off now to get my herbal remedy!!
 
Nat well done  [smiley=jumping.gif]. Good he was able to see you however briefly - if you really could not face it, you wouldn't have been able to go in there this afternoon. You can do it....you will be okay...

Hope you feel a bit better - remember he's doing this almost everyday and presumably finds it rewarding seeing people get over their fears, like Harper for instance who doesn't need the sedation at all now.  

He's making light of it from his end of things - it's no big deal to him but obviously he knows it is to you....especially the first time.

Just get yourself there girl....I'll be willing you along at 9.45am Dutch time i.e. 8.45am yours.  Hope the work colleagues are considerate. If you've told them you're having sedation (maybe you haven't), they must realise you're pretty scared.
Greetings
Brit  [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Hi Nat - I just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow [smiley=grouphug.gif]!!!

You're doing great there :D!
 
Hi Nat
I guess you're probably at work now....here's hoping you don't lose too much sleep tonight....all the best for tomorrow [smiley=hugging.gif] ...you don't need good luck once you're in there...you've just got to get there which I know you can do...you've kept  [smiley=angelic.gif] potentially much scarier appointments before.
Signing off
Brit
[smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Hi...... Just wishing you luck for the morning, GOOD LUCK looking forward to hearing from you, let us all know how you got on. GOOD LUCK x X x
 
hi nat
you go girl [smiley=notworthy.gif] you can do it [smiley=hug.gif]
 
HI Nat,

Just wishing you good luck for tomorrow. Remember, we will all be thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts.
[smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Thanks Guys, am at work now but needed a break so came here for some reassurance! I bought some stuff from boots and its working to a certain extent, I keep thinking about how I am going to make it tomorrow and I really hope it goes as well as everyone elses experiences!
 
Hopefully someone will be here to answer this rather silly question I have (sorry another!)

I am going to be in the chair for 2 hours now I know its not 2 hours of dental work but I am concerned I wont be able to keep my mouth open for very long! I really dont want anything propping it open as I need to know I can swallow if the need be!!
 
Nat
It's not your problem - you're 'out of there' - don't worry about that - ask about it afterwards for next time if it still bothers you. You can tell I don't actually know the answer, can't you....maybe someone else still up does -  but I think you're trying to be too well informed at this late stage...no one else has mentioned this or said they had a sore jaw after?? (I don't think).

Congrats  [smiley=angelic.gif] on sounding so calm - your Mum coming was a good idea I think?

Tell you what, on balance I think  I'd rather have your appointment than 'Inagony's tomorrow, given that she's planning on confronting her old dentist in person with her complaints - don't know if you're following that one. I'll understand if you'd disagree with me on this one! How weird am I?  I'm even more convinced now that you'll be fine. We really are all rooting for you - can't you tell?

Unless the stuff you're taking is really good - you are bound to feel awfully nervous tomorrow when you wake up - if by some miracle you feel calm and relaxed,take that as a major bonus - that would almost be an abnormal reaction given the anxiousness of the build-up period???

Sleep tight if at all possible but there again- you'll be able to have a long sleep for most of tomorrow so maybe it doesn't matter too much if you're up for ages.

Brit
[smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Yeh I have been reading that post, I really feel for that person right now, I had a coleague at work today tell me that a friend of a friend had recently died of eye cancer, she had to have her eye removed and I thought good god, here I am worrying about a dental appointment when that poor girl had an eye taken out, kinda puts things into perspective dont you think??
 
Hi Nat
Yeah
That's my philosophy on life - treat others as you'd wish to be treated yourself and there's always someone worse off than you!
Hubbie's away or he'd be telling me to get to sleep - I'm having my late night cuppa so happy to chat a bit longer if it helps.
Brit
 
Thanks Brit I have just had the best head massage from my mum and it has really relaxed me, I think I may take that opportunity to go to bed and try to get some sleep, Take a look on that success board tomorrow because my story is going to be on it!!

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, it has been really appreciated!! [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Thanks Brit I have just had the best head massage from my mum and it has really relaxed me, I think I may take that opportunity to go to bed and try to get some sleep, Take a look on that success board tomorrow because my story is going to be on it!!

WTGGGGGGGG Nat................cant wait to read your post

[smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
Night night - you'll soon be on [smiley=cloud9.gif]. Just put phone down to husband he's about to get on a plane in Tokyo poor thing; and won't be back in NL till late tomorrow as he's going via Heathrow.
Brit
PS A lady I ran a playgroup with trained in Reiki but I never did let her practise on me! You'd recommend it then? [smiley=grouphug.gif]
 
I had a very restless night thinking about Nat, knowing what she was going through last night. I'm on a countdown now waiting for her news! I really ought to go shopping but cant drag myself away lol.

I'm anxious for her but very excited too.
 
[smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif]



OH MY GOD, I seriousy cant believe I did it!!!!! A few tears outside and in but when the IV went in I put on my mp3 player and thats It, I do however rememebr the procedures but will update you all later when I am not so woozy!!
 
Back
Top