• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

GRUB! (Soft Food Ideas)

In the 'test' kitchen today

Sweet and sour chook with sugar snap peas and egg fried rice with spring onions :)

Well I did this one today, and to be totally truthful, when I do my rib sauce, it smells 'gorge' cold - I am a firm believer hot food should be hot and cold, cold, but I do like the mix of hot and coldish together, for some strange reason :confused: - and grub should smell good when being prepared - well - I wasn't getting the good smell vibe from this sauce, and was beginning to panic -however - it was truly 'gorge' - so...... providing I get the total seal of approval from the very fussy hubby, and he wouldn't dare.... - erm, yes he would, will put this up as soon as :cook:

Result - its going up in the next day or two :)

1 tablespoon spicy noodles

This is a really quick recipe, and the original does involve crispy vegetables, so if you are able to eat these, then add whatever you like, ie baby sweetcorn, carrots, broccoli etc. I had it without the veggies, and it was extremely tasty and filling.

This is for one person, so if you are feeding more than one, then multiply accordingly.

Ingredients:

1 stack noodles

2cm fresh ginger, grated

1 garlic clove, grated

1 tbsp vegetable oil

1tbsp peanut butter - crunchy or smooth whatever your preference

1 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce or a pinch of chilli flakes, or both if you really want to turn up the heat ;)

1 tbsp sesame oil (optional)

Water

Directions:

Cook your noodles according to packet instructions.

Add your vegetable oil to the pan, gently heat, and then add your garlic and ginger, don't let the garlic start to burn as it will go bitter. Once the garlic begins to lightly colour add your peanut butter, soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce. Mix together. At this stage, it may be a bit 'sticky', so add water, little by little until you get the consistency you want (some people prefer their food more saucy than others).

Once noodles are cooked (and this should be a matter of minutes) lift them out of the pan and mix in with your spicy sauce.

Serve into a warmed bowl and drizzle over your sesame oil.

If you do want to add veggies then pop them in just after your garlic and ginger, saute for about a minute, then continue with your recipe.

Enjoy!

Kim :cook:

:cook:

Lentil curry - extremely easy.

Ingredients:

1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons of oil (vegetable is fine)
3-4 teaspoons of curry powder (I use Madras, but that is a personal preference as I like quite spicy food)
8oz (200g) split red lentils
575mls hot vegetable stock
2-3 tablespoons mango chutney

Directions:

Mix together the onion and oil and microwave on high for 2 minutes

Add curry powder and return to microwave for a further 1 minute

Add everything else, cover with cling film (glad wrap) and microwave on high again for a further 20 minutes, stopping every 5 minutes to stir (be careful when removing the cling film (glad wrap) for the steam that will come out, as it bloomin' hurts if you get it on your hands, and we don't want that)

As we all know, microwave ovens all vary, and because of this, my high might not be your high if you see what I mean, this being the case, you may need to add a little more stock, depending on just how 'saucy' you like your curry!

This one makes a great snack on its own, done it once and will do it again today :) (though microwave ovens definitely do vary - mine was done within 10 minutes on medium??? so I might do it in a pan instead, I find it easier to stir it on the stove than take it out of the microwave to stir!). I haven't tried it with mango chutney yet as I didn't have any, but will go for a walk now and buy some :thumbsup:! So easy and tasty... (and probably healthy, too!). The spicy noodles look very tempting....

Aw thanks letsconnect

Really glad you enjoyed it, and, yes, microwaves do vary - mine is quite high, so I had to be careful and one time needed to add a bit more liquid. I haven't tried it in a pan, but you really have to watch yourself when taking the cling film off to stir - if the steam hits you fingers - you would really know it :oops:

The noodles were truly scrummy, and I may even try the sauce on its own and cook up a bit of chook or something to make a sort of satay chicken.

Kim :cook:

I actually did have the noodles last night (as well as for lunch today) - with carrots and broccoli (I was gonna have beansprouts, but the ones in the supermarket all looked a bit sad so I had to pass on them). Another great quick and easy recipe :thankyou: (and an excellent excuse for buying peanut butter :grin:)!

Also made another lot of the lentil curry for freezing in snack portions - we should open our own DFC readymeal factory ;)!

Oh go on show off why don't you - carrots and broccoli - Ali had the broccoli and I would have been sucking on that for ages ;) Gave my bouche a good workout today - Ali was eating baby pickled onions - I just love them - so went out and sliced them thinly and then spent ages trying to crush them between my tongue and back mouth managed it pretty well, nearly choked on the vinegar - another pretty sight - ​NOT ;)

Could you put cauliflower in the noodles you don't need to chew it, it's nice with white sauce too. Listen to me joining in the cooking thread. I will buy your wares if you set up shop.

I look at some of your stuff and think Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but I haven't done any yet. I think when I do it will be the noodle one, and maybe the lentils, still can't quite get my head around that one yet. I love noodles, home made ones. :butterfly: I like quick and easy. I do enjoy reading all this though, you never know Kim you might make a foodie of me yet.

You could put any veggies in it to be honest, but when I do stir fry's for my lot, they like their veg to be crispy, and if I did them so they were manageable by me, the noodles would be sludge - yuk. Have never made my own noodles or pasta - too much faffing I would imagine - tho' fresh pasta is the best ;)

My hubby only likes cauliflower with either a white sauce or in a curry - he's getting his in his curry today, as I am making a lamb rogan josh and a chook tikka Marsala for Ali as she is not so keen on lamb in curry - but I put stacks of veggies in too, whatever is to hand.

And I reckon Carole, that you are a closet foodie lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - go on, give the lentil curry a go - it is really tasty.

I bought a marrow the other day and haven't had one of those since I was a kid when my mum used to cook it and it used to resemble a warm slush puppy on our plate - double yuk. Anyway, I looked at it yesterday and thought it is all very well buying this, but it would be a good idea if I knew what to do with it too ;)

So, I have been trawling through heaps of foodie things and have found a recipe which I will try out in the next day or so, and if good enough, will put it up :cook:

Re: Chicken Tikka Masala

This is an extremely tasty curry, and tho' I have done this recipe with chicken, I have also done it with lamb. It is very easy to do. Serves 4 - 6 people.

Ingredients:

4 skinless chicken breasts

2 medium onions

1 fresh red chilli

A thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger

Coriander (optional)

Groundnut or vegetable oil

A knob of butter

Half a 283g jar of Patak's tikka masala curry paste (or similar)

Sea salt and ground black pepper

1 (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes

1 (400ml) tin coconut milk

Natural yoghurt (optional)

1 lemon

Directions:

Cut your chicken into equal sized pieces. Finely slice your onions, chilli and ginger.

Put a large casserole-type pan on a medium heat, put in a couple of glugs of oil and your butter into the pan. Once melted add your onions chilli and ginger, and cook for 10 minutes until softened and golden (not chargrilled or burnt ;) )

Add your curry paste and chicken and ensure all are coated, seasoning with salt and pepper. Pop in your tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and simmer with the lid on for approximately 15 minutes.

Cook for a further five minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally. When the meat is tender and cooked, make sure you taste, and if needed add a little more salt and pepper - make sure you are careful with this seasoning.

Serve with basmatti rice, lemon quarters and a dollop of natural yoghurt - sprinkle the coriander over your finished dish and enjoy :cook:

Last edited:
Ha :welldone: I have a jar of that pataks stuff, someone told me to get it but I haven't done anything with it. I wasn't sure how much to use or what to do really as I don't make curries. This is one I am defo going to do, I have just thawed some chicken breasts out so tomorrow I will give it a go. THANK YOU :cheer::yay::cheer::yay::butterfly:

It really is gorg - squeeze the lemon over the finished off thing - yum - I now have tuna in my house - am thinking of trying your tuna dish - I think I need to put a peg over my nose as that distracts me from tasting things - did the marrow thing today and got the thumbs up - apparently it will also go really well with jacket tatties - so will put that one up too :)

What tuna thing? Is it the tuna mash? :o:butterfly:

It's the weekend, going to try some more stuff, have been a bit lax but will do some scrummy stuff - hopefully :)

Re: SWEET CHILLI CHICKEN WRAPS

I am busy trawling through recipes both on line and with all my cookery books and magazines, and will put some tried ones up as soon as I can.

In the meantime, this is what we are having for dinner tonight - really, really easy, and oh so tasty, and although I read in a Thomasina Myers Mexican cook book that fajitas are only ever to be eaten by holding and taking a big bite, I am not at the moment in that position.

And although this is not a fajita, it is still housed in a tortilla wrap, so I shred my lettuce, finely slice my onions and eat it with a knife and fork :giggle: so my suggestion to all of you who want to give this a bash, is to do with it what you can and will, just so long as you enjoy :cook:

I will do this based on two people, so obviously do your maths/quantities as needed.

Ingredients:

2 chicken breast fillets

Two soft tortilla wraps

4 leaves of sweet baby gem lettuce (or whatever other takes your fancy)

1 small red onion

1 pepper (red, orange, yellow or green)

As much sweet chilli sauce as you can handle ;)

Small glug of oil

Directions:

Finely slice your pepper and onion, and indeed the lettuce if you so wish. Slice your chicken into equal sized strips. Put your small glug of oil into your pan and gently heat. Add your chicken and cook through. When almost ready, put your wraps into the microwave for about 10 seconds, just to warm them through.

Now if you are able, and a lot of you will be, when the wraps are ready, sprinkle down the middle of the wrap your lettuce, onion and pepper, chicken cooked, add this on top, squidge over as little or as much chilli sauce as you like, wrap it all up, and 'hey presto, Bob's your uncle' done.

If you are like me and unable to eat the raw pepper and onion, about a minute prior to turning your chook off of the heat, add your sliced veggie to gently soften and make life easier, and then put it all together as above.

Enjoy

:cook: Kim

Last edited:
Another recipe that sounds fabulous!!! I love fajitas, so here's another one I MUST try!!
Thanks, :cook: Kim!!!! ;D

I am just about to do mine - really scrummy - I was sad today - the big guy off of Green Mile (one of my favourite films) passed away - :(

I know he was lovely, and I loved that film.:)

One of my favourites - both he as an actor and the film.

Re: TOMATO AND CHORIZO PASTA BAKE

Ok, I will apologise now for not having posted anything on here for a wee while. It is not for the want of trying, but I have been a little hectic what with one thing and another, and have tried out a couple of recipes, and am going to put the first one up now, which is delish and easy to do. I do have another recipe, and am torn, so I need you to chip in and let me know what you would like me to do.

I tried out a soup recipe, and gave it to my 'victim's' to try. My hubby had an instant dislike to it, my daughter loves it, and I am unsure - it is ok and good for you, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it, but that is my personal choice.

So let me know if you would like me to put it up. It is a spicy curried lentil soup. More than happy to if you think I should :cook: This one serves 4 - 6 depending on how hungry you are. Make sure that you use a big enough pan initially to hold all of the recipe prior to putting in an oven proof dish to bake.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil

1 red onion, finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

200g chorizo, sliced (finely, if you have a bit of a problem with the texture)

2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

400g fusilli

Fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)

Grated parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper for seasoning

Directions:

First off, preheat your oven to either 180 fan or 160 gas. Heat one tbsp of oil in a pan, and gently fry the onion for about five minutes until soft, add your garlic and fry for another minute. Take the onions out of the pan, and set to one side.

Fry your chorizo until starting to crisp (less so, if you can't handle the crispness), then return your onions and garlic to the pan with the chopped tomatoes and red wine vinegar. Season, and taste, and leave to hubble bubble away for ten minutes.

Cook your pasta in salted water until almost al dente, drain, and toss with the remaining oil. Stir the pasta into the tomato sauce at which time you can add your basil if you are using it. (If you cook your pasta all through, it will go quite soggy after being cooked in the oven :) )

Tip into your ovenproof dish and sprinkle your parmesan all over. Put it into the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, then leave to stand for about five minutes so you don't burn your mouth off :cook:

Serve with a lovely salad and some cheesy garlic bread - enjoy

Kim:cook:

PS - if you don't fancy/like the chorizo, or it is a bit tough, I have yet to be able to eat any - then try putting some mushrooms in instead, but fry them off with the onions and garlic :)

Last edited:
Back