• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hole in wisdom tooth?

J

Jtcvt

Hello all -
I felt a sharp area on my only remaining wisdom tooth, the upper right. I do routinely see a dentist and have had the molar next to this wisdom tooth and the other wisdom teeth extracted. This wisdom tooth has shifted over time towards the front so I have actually had easier access for brushing it, and I do floss daily.
It took me years to work up the courage to go to the dentist but I did and dealt with the cavities and had my last cleaning in March when everything was fine. The thought of going back to the office and having x Rays and work done is overwhelming right now.

I don't understand why this tooth is falling apart. There is no pain or hot/cold sensitivity. I have a cleaning scheduled for September but I'm nervous about even just that. Do I have to go in sooner?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I appreciate any advice.

Hi.

I'm sorry that this is bothering you. I know how overwhelming things can seem. I feel the same way.

If you're concerned, I'd call your dentist's office just to be safe.

Is there someone who can go with you, to help you feel more at ease?

I hope everything works out for you.

Good luck.

JJ

Hi,

the oral hygienist usually check for cavities as well. If nothing was wrong on March, most probably nothing will be wrong is September because you brush and clean well (very important).
A sharp edge does not necessarily mean a cavity. It might be a small chipping. If it bothers your tongue, I suggest you go to a dentist who can smooth it easily (takes 5 seconds, not painful at all, and you have immediate relieve) and tell you what is matter.

Back