Re: wide range of emotions
Penny, I have been a panic attack/anxiety disorder sufferer off and on for 30 years. And, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that it's something that you cannot "rationalize" your way out of. And that's very hard for me, because I'm a very rational person. And it kills me that this is the one thing in my life that I have "no" control over. (I use "no" in quotes because I don't mean that in a literal sense; there are things you can do to lessen the severity and frequency of panic attacks, but, at the same time, if one's going to strike, it's just going to strike and there's not much you can do about it except ride it out).
As far as worrying about what the dentist will think about the condition of your teeth, well, if you encounter one who seems put off by that, he's in the wrong profession, IMO. You sound like me, though, in a way. I refuse to visit a hairdresser without washing and conditioning and blow drying my hair first!
But dental health is far more important than dirty hair. So, the worst thing you can do is not go just because you're concerned with the appearance of your teeth or the state of decay in which they're in. Going to the dentist to take care of that problem is EXACTLY what you should be doing!
If you find yourself scared of having a panic attack (which is exactly what my problem is) I HIGHLY recommend you request IV sedation/oral sedation (whatever your dentist deems is right for you). I was "petrified" pretty much right up until she inserted the IV. (Not to the point I'd get up and run, because I knew I had to go through with it at some point in time). I had a choice: either deal with it, or live with ugly, decayed painful teeth for the rest of my life. I knew that I definitely didn't want to do that, so I forced myself to go. When she introduced Valium into the IV, I couldn't care less after that point if she had stood on my chest with a jackhammer. I was that calm and, for most of the procedure, I was completely unaware of what was going on. During those brief times I was aware, for a period of seonds, it didn't bother me in the least.
I just had all of my upper teeth extracted Wednesday and three lower ones and an aveloplasty and also other stitches taken in a lower molar area and I've had hardly any significant pain, to speak of. And what pain I have had I've got pain medication to take if and when I need it. Hardly any bleeding, but some, of course. I just have to say that IV sedation is FANTASTIC, especially if you are prone to panic attacks and anxiety.
And if you're really nervous to the point that you just can't make yourself go, then the dentist might suggest an oral anxiety agent ahead of time. I wanted to do that myself, but couldn't afford the Rx. So I just went with the nitrous oxide and iv sedation route, and I'm so happy I did and happy to finally get it over with. This swelling will go away in due time and I'll be feeling back to normal very soon, I'm sure. And so will you! Trust me, if I can do this, so can anyone. You'll be so glad you did, too, afterwards. The anticipatory anxiety is FAR FAR worse than the actual procedure and aftermath of the procedure is. I don't know why we allow ourselves to psychologically beat ourselves up this way, but we do, and the only way to get beyond it is to face our fears, I think.
Best of luck to you! If you want to talk please email me!