• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just noticed a huge blob of calculus on fronth tooth.

L

Lordofthedance

So, I have an appointment scheduled for cleaning and I knew that I had a little tartar build-up, just because my teeth felt rough. Today things seemed to just be getting worse though, as I noticed the build-up on one tooth is way thicker than the others. I have no clue if it was already there and I just failed to notice or if it's super-recent. When I lightly scrape it with my fingernail, it's black: another great sign...

I don't know what to do to keep this at bay anymore: I brush, I use a prescribed mouthwash, I eat healthy, but it just seems to worsen each day.

Atop of my worries that my teeth will fall out in the time between appointments(I dream about that constantly.), I also have another question: should I not rinse with water after brushing? It seems to come up in a lot of dental-related tips and I have not done it anymore since reading it.

With my new mouthwash however, it says to flush with water after brushing, because there's stuff in toothpaste that will reduce the effectiveness of the wash. I'm kind of at loss on what to do here...

The advice my dentist gave me was to use mouthwash at another time of day if you want to, and after brushing not to rinse - if you rinse you wash away the good stuff in the toothpaste, which you want to keep on your teeth.

Personally I tend to use tepe brushes and floss after my evening meal, then rinse with mouthwash. I brush my teeth in the morning before leaving for work, then nighttime before bed, and don’t rinse after either time. I also keep mouthwash in my desk drawer at work to use if I have eaten something strong, then need to go straight to teach a class or to a meeting,

Hi Lordofthedance,

you do not mention when your last cleaning was, however once tartar is on your teeth, it tends to grow bigger faster than it would on freshly cleaned teeth (the surface of tartar is rough so new bacteria stick to it much easier than they can on freshly cleaned and polished teeth). Remember you can't brush tartar away, only a dental cleaning can remove it so do not worry about it for now. Once you had the cleaning done things will get fixed. Your hygienist will also able to tell you how to take the best care of your teeth. If you would like to read something beforehand, you can take a look here. It's quite an extensive article where you should be able to find the answers about brushing and mouthwash.

You mentioned your mouthwash is a prescribed one? Which one is it? Wondering if it's prescribed then it might have some different rules..

Your teeth won't fall out. Don't get confused by those dreams, it's one of the universal motives that appear in dreams of everyone now and then (such as being followed or flying etc.) and it has nothing to do with the actual state of your teeth.

All the best wishes

Thanks for replying. Well, I went to the dentist this week, but they only did a check-up and scheduled a deep cleaning. They may have cleaned my teeth superficially, but I'm not totally sure.(sorry if this sounds stupid)The dentist blew some air on them, while poking around in my mouth.

My mouthwash is called perio-aid and it contains chlorhexidine. It's strong stuff that alters taste and is designed to fight biofilm. The instructions say to rinse out toothpaste before use, not eat for at least half an hour and not rinse with water after spitting it out.

Thanks for replying. Well, I went to the dentist this week, but they only did a check-up and scheduled a deep cleaning. They may have cleaned my teeth superficially, but I'm not totally sure.(sorry if this sounds stupid)The dentist blew some air on them, while poking around in my mouth.

My mouthwash is called perio-aid and it contains chlorhexidine. It's strong stuff that alters taste and is designed to fight biofilm. The instructions say to rinse out toothpaste before use, not eat for at least half an hour and not rinse with water after spitting it out.

A cleaning is a longer procedure and involves cleaning in stages as well as polishing. You would know if they did it. Deep cleaning is something that gets done after the normal cleaning and only if necessary (if the gum pockets have certain depth).

Perio-aid is actually one of the less dosed chlorhexidine products out there, but uses cetylpyridiniumchlorid as an addition which enhances the effect (if the guy in our practice briefing was right..). I see, it says that anionic ingredients can contradict with the chlorhexidine in it so if you use such a tooth paste you should rinse three times (??) before using it. So this makes sense. If you hadn‘t this mouthwash then spiting would be better, as Judy said.

Back