• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

So scared that im getting sick and having panic attacks daily :(

G

Geek1203

Hello, I am 19 and I have been told that my mouth is too small for my wisdom teeth. I have seen a friend get an iv and have had many other friends recount horrible wisdom tooth stories. I have 0 pain tolerance, absolutley hate the feeling of "going under", and have a MASSIVE phobia of needles and ivs to the point where im desperate to not get the teeth removed if it can be helped. I have been a worrywart about this, and its causing me to have several panic attacks a day, and to stress out, lose sleep, and it is causing me to be extremeley sick and basically ruining my life. I am in NO PAIN AT ALL. plz help :(

You sound very much like me when I was your age. I know it's horrible to even think about doing anything - especially when you're not in any pain.

Having said that, I'd do anything to go back 20 years and have had my wisdom teeth out then. The problem is that the older you get, the longer and stronger the roots grow. If they are impacted, that can cause serious problems with the neighboring teeth. I'm not trying to scare you, just telling you what I wish I had known then.

I ended up having mine out when I was 30. It was not good (because they were so much more difficult to extract than they would have been when I was younger). I had just local anesthetic because the idea of conscious sedation was not tolerable for me - but I wish I would have done that.

If you read this, please feel free to send me a message directly or post here if you have any questions or just want support.

All the best!

When I was 19 I was needle-phobic too. Luckily I worked in a hospital lab so I managed to cure myself by volunteering to let a friend take blood from me, and now I really don't give a £&@!! either way. Anyway, the younger you get those wizzies sorted the quicker you'll recover and the mow pain you will save yourself. And tell your pals to do one with their horror stories !!

Back