• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Surgical Exo Bone Removal

  • Thread starter Thread starter dental_drama
  • Start date Start date
D

dental_drama

Junior member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
4
:-? I have to have some bone removed to extract a tooth. Does anyone know what this procedure involves and what exactly is it. [smiley=frightened.gif]
 
Hi. Sounds more exciting than it actually is. The tooth to be extracted has the bone removed in the form of a wee gutter around the tooth - giving the oral surgeon access to be able to extract the tooth. You'll probably need some stitches afterwards, and headache tablets. But it'll heal just as well as a normal extraction.

Hope that helps.

Pars :)
 
Thanks Pars does help a bit. How exactly do they take the bone. Sounds kinda horrible. [smiley=scared.gif]
 
Tiny wee drill - fascinating to watch. And completely painless.

:)
 
Better be painless Pars or I'm coming after you ;) :D

One more question if I may. I am having my old amalgam fillings removed and new white ones (I presume) as replacements. How do they get the old ones out? (Yes am a dental phobic too) Am having IV sedation but still scared witless. What does adhesive restoration-2 surf-post and 1-surf-ant mean. Fillings??
 
Heheh, I'm glad Pars answered that and not me :-)

The old ones are removed with the dental handpiece, sort of a tiny drill. Looks like some kind of shorthand, adhesive restoration (white filling) 2 surf (2 surfaces of the tooth) Post (Posterior ie Back tooth), Ant=anterior or front tooth.
 
:) Lucky for Pars it was painless.

Thanks for the reply Gordon. It's all done now. Had the appointment yesterday. 8 fillings, 1 bone removal, 1 extraction and root planing and scaling. IV sedation was fantastic. I don't remember a thing. Considering I was blubbering like a baby when I went in, I can honestly say it was the best thing I've done. If only I had of known sooner abut IV I would of had it done long ago. Only have to go back every 6 months now for checkup.

Thanks Pars and Gordon for the help. Great site!! :D
 
Back
Top