• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Thisismyjournal (thisisme)

I would make the call. It is sometimes difficult to get the bite just right while being so numb after fillings. As Sol said, the risk of making things worse is minimal with a bite adjustment. I have had to go back on a few occasions for bite adjustments (usually when I’ve had more than one filling) and it usually does the trick.

So guys, I wanted to update. Unfortunately, I do not have good news to report.

I was not brave and waited until after my vacation to go in. The bite didn’t seem off but he lowered the filling to be safe. I’m not chewing on that side for other reasons (keep reading), so I’m sure it needs time to heal. I was googling the issue last night and someone on the forum posted about the SAME issue last year. I reached out to one of the commenters (thank you Spider) who commented she had the same issue. She messaged me back to say the issue gradually went away on its own by avoiding the side. So I guess that is a little good news.

The bad news, and yes, it’s bad, the last deep filling he filled (on Oct. 22)... the one he told me he put the medicine on to calm the nerve... is not going to work. I noticed a slight twinge in it last night when drinking water. Around 3 a.m., I took and swished a bit of water to “test” it and ouch! What a bad idea. Thankfully, the pain subsided in a few seconds, but it is not a good pain. I now have to completely avoid that side of my mouth. I called today and left a message, but they are closed until Monday. It doesn’t seem like an emergency because it’s relatively pain free if I keep hot/cold liquid away from it, but I do hope they can squeeze me in early next week before Thanksgiving. Am I ready for a root canal? Absolutely not. But I’m thinking the first appointment will probably be a temporary fix. I’m not sure how. Maybe with a temp crown? Then, they can schedule a long one to complete the root canal. I’m terrified, but the thought of avoiding this side of my mouth until I die is much worse. I have had good success with being numb, so I just have to believe it will be long but a pain free experience!

So yeah, just when I thought I catch up, a deep filling fails. And talk about feeling like the biggest bother in the world! “Hello, yes, I know you just adjusted my bite on Tuesday, but I can get in a week later because now, I have another problem!”

The thing that sucks is I’ve never had this kind of sensitivity before I started visiting dentists. And I know living with decay in your mouth is bad, haha, but it sucks that the back molar is worse now than it was before. Honestly, I didn’t even know it had a cavity. Never bothered me at all. ?

Sorry to hear that it's not going well for you thisisme.

I'm hoping that the pain you're having will be gone soon. At least you're being proactive and left them a message, so hopefully they'll get back to you on Monday.

Sending you hugs :hug4:

How are your teeth feeling now? I really hope things have settled down with both your teeth. They have written in my chart that I will only ever see one dentist (the practice has 2 dentists) AND only one of his two assistants! I bet I could request a certain room too, but both rooms are equally as nice with big windows. I laid out ALL my fears during my first appointment. They even prepare the room with the window blinds completely open so I feel "less trapped". I didn't hold back at all- I figured if they can't handle me, then I needed to know from the start. :ROFLMAO:
I could totally relate when you said you spent your 20's consumed by this phobia. I feel the same way. I have other phobia's too, and I know that I will look back and regret how much they have taken from me. Life is precious, and too short. You have a very inspiring journal- thank you so much for sharing x

How are your teeth feeling now? I really hope things have settled down with both your teeth. They have written in my chart that I will only ever see one dentist (the practice has 2 dentists) AND only one of his two assistants! I bet I could request a certain room too, but both rooms are equally as nice with big windows. I laid out ALL my fears during my first appointment. They even prepare the room with the window blinds completely open so I feel "less trapped". I didn't hold back at all- I figured if they can't handle me, then I needed to know from the start. :ROFLMAO:
I could totally relate when you said you spent your 20's consumed by this phobia. I feel the same way. I have other phobia's too, and I know that I will look back and regret how much they have taken from me. Life is precious, and too short. You have a very inspiring journal- thank you so much for sharing x

Aw, Spider, thank you for the kind words and for checking in on me! I did stop chewing on that side. Occasionally (like now), I’m eating chicken tacos and it’ll slide over. I’ll bite down and it’s okay. However, after a few weeks, I tested it and it still does hurt with extreme pressure. Part of me wants to ask at my checkup if he can refill it if it’s still happening. It wasn’t a deep cavity, so I can’t see that being an issue. I still have a few months to go (March), and it doesn’t impact my daily life. In fact, even when I accidentally chew over there, it’s fine. I really have to hit it right with something really hard, which I avoid doing, so it can settle down if needed.

The top tooth is actually better! Okay, not 100% but I’m still holding out hope since the toothpaste said it could be up to 4 weeks. I’ve switched to a sensitivity toothpaste. I can eat and drink without issues. If I take a sip of really cold water and swish (it’s used to just have to be room temperature water), I’ll feel a bit, but it’s not anywhere like it was. Colgative Sensitivity for the win! Even if he wanted to do work on it, I would refuse. The tooth has a deep filling and sensitivity happens. It’s not impacting my life or what I eat, and if it gets worse, okay, then, I’ll deal with it.

Your dentist sounds so accommodating! I’m sure mine would be too if I asked (the left room is sooooo much better), but I’m not too vocal. At my first appointment, she couldn’t believe how bad my phobia was because I was so compliant and calm. I was like... “that’s just how I cope!”

It’s hard to lose a whole decade to this phobia. I’m sorry you went through it too. I stopped going at 14 and didn’t start again until 31. The teen years didn’t bother me because I was so young and carefree, but the older I got, the more self conscious I became about my smile and my dental health, but the fear was too strong. I would still really like to get braces. I am trying to work up the courage to make a consult. I’m at this point of my career where I’m really bubbly, am well-known and liked, do a ton of presentations, and I just want a smile that really reflects all that! :) I sometimes wonder how people could even like me without straight teeth. Don’t they think I’m less of a person? But it just kind of feels like we’re our toughest critics, and if I get braces, it’s for me and not them. They already love me, and I just want to better myself. :)

One day...

that is very good news! It sounds like the sensitivity toothpaste is starting to work! The tooth that gave me pain with crunchy foods was also a small cavity. You'd think those small fillings would have no problems.
My teeth are crooked too- overbite, tilted this way and that. Braces were not an option for me growing up and now I'm 38 and I feel its too late, although I know its not. I don't think my teeth could handle being moved around and I'd rather spend money on other things, lol. I feel that my crooked teeth make me more approachable in some weird way. I'm not perfect and well off- just a normal person. People seem to automatically like me when they first meet me, so I don't think my teeth turn anyone off. Maybe if I worked a more professional job or lived in a nicer area, it would make a difference? I do agree that we're our own worse critics.

that is very good news! It sounds like the sensitivity toothpaste is starting to work! The tooth that gave me pain with crunchy foods was also a small cavity. You'd think those small fillings would have no problems.
My teeth are crooked too- overbite, tilted this way and that. Braces were not an option for me growing up and now I'm 38 and I feel its too late, although I know its not. I don't think my teeth could handle being moved around and I'd rather spend money on other things, lol. I feel that my crooked teeth make me more approachable in some weird way. I'm not perfect and well off- just a normal person. People seem to automatically like me when they first meet me, so I don't think my teeth turn anyone off. Maybe if I worked a more professional job or lived in a nicer area, it would make a difference? I do agree that we're our own worse critics.

You’re never too old if that is what you wanted. I once saw someone in their 70s wearing braces. But, it sounds like you are so confident and comfortable with your smile and that is so amazing and beautiful! I bet I would love you the moment I met you as well. I too have that reaction with people and then wonder how.

I’m 32. Most people I work with had braces. Well maybe like 4/5. I’m looking to move up, and although, most people already see me as ambitious, confident, and smart, I really want to feel as confident as they think I am. There may be this very front facing position opening and personality and skill wise, I know I would be perfect. However, the position takes lots of pictures and is in videos, so it’s starting to deter me. This position was filled by a fantastic person for years and his replacement got let go after a few months. I missed my chance to apply last time because I didn’t feel good enough and also didn’t want to subject myself to that much “front facing” work not having been to the dentist in 16 years... Now that I’m brave and go to the dentist now, I know that at least braces are an option and I’m not going to let my teeth stop me anymore! Even if I never got braces, I need to remind myself that my kindness, passion and desire to help others outshines having perfect teeth.

Years ago, I met a celebrity and I could not hide my pure joy. He called me so beautiful and sweet and gave me a free autograph and photo. I am absolutely beaming in that photo and it’s one of my favorite photos, even though my teeth aren’t straight. Despite this, he still called me sweet and beautiful. It’s something I carry with me to this date and makes me feel a little more confident. ?

Ahhh, thats so exciting!!! Definitely go for the job if/when it opens up! I love your attitude and how you won't let your teeth hold you back anymore. I'm sure you'd do beautifully at the job without straight teeth, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting braces one day. I can see why having straight teeth would give you a confidence boost especially with a job that is very front and center. I've never worked a job like that- I'm envious because it sounds very exciting :grin:

Now that I’m brave and go to the dentist now, I know that at least braces are an option and I’m not going to let my teeth stop me anymore! Even if I never got braces, I need to remind myself that my kindness, passion and desire to help others outshines having perfect teeth.
I haven't read your whole post (hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow), but this part is great. I need to tell myself similar things and realise that my teeth most likely aren't as big a deal to anyone else.
Well done on your progress!

I haven't read your whole post (hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow), but this part is great. I need to tell myself similar things and realise that my teeth most likely aren't as big a deal to anyone else.
Well done on your progress!

Thank you, ReginaPhalange! I cannot believe that 5 months ago, I had not even consider phoning a dentist. It’s nice to go through life without carrying around temporary filling. It’s been almost two months since my last fillings were filled, and it is so weird!

You have also made tremendous progress! I’ve seen you reached the year mark since you began your journey. That is incredible! I think we are often hardest on ourselves, and I try to remember that even saying the word dentist was impossible for 16 years. Given that circumstance, I have to be just proud of where I’m at right now. I didn’t choose this phobia and I would much rather have not had this, but I did. Today, I don’t run away when someone says dentist and I have openly talked about procedures with friends and family. Do I want straight teeth one day? Absolutely! But will I let my teeth hold me back anymore? Nope.

Today I am just proud I have a healthy mouth.

Update to journal: The sensitivity toothpaste has worked wonders. I am swishing water around without a twinge of pain in the deep filling tooth. Let’s hope that filling lasts many many years!

I’m still having a hard time with the small filling on the bottom he replaced. I was going to wait until my cleaning in March. Maybe he can just replace it then. I try not to eat on that side, although most food is fine. It’s the crunchy, hard stuff that causes issues. He couldn’t find anything wrong with it, so I’m just waiting and hoping.

One of the things I’d like to be brave enough to do in the new year is get a braces consult. I have been watching a ton of braces videos on YouTube and trying to get braver. Having semi combated my dental phobia, I am trying to figure out exactly what bothers me about it.

Then I watched a vlog and an adult with braces said something that really hit home. She said now that her teeth are getting straighter, people are saying how bad her teeth were before. She said that it bothered her because they are her teeth and were like that for a long time. She said that people finally felt okay to discuss how bad they were because she finally recognized the problem and got braces. She obviously did not like that.

And THAT is it right there. As long I have crooked teeth, nobody is willing to say anything, and I can live a life of thinking they aren’t that bad (even though I know they aren’t great).

I like reading comments where people say “wow, you’re going to be even more beautiful” or “braces look great on you!” I just can’t handle people talking about how bad my teeth are. I know I am incredibly fortunate to have healthy teeth now. I just wish I could be brave enough, forget what other people think, and do a braces consult.

I know I took a huge leap by going to the dentist this year, and I know it’s going to take another huge leap. I am really trying and I really want this. It’s just really hard for me.

What is the active ingredient in your sensitivity toothpaste?

I personally find two toothpastes work for me. One with potassium-nitrate as the desensitizer (also has sodium flouride)

For toothpaste two, I like one with Stannous Fluoride!

I’VE BEEN TOLD TO AVOID ANY THAT CLAIM TO WHITEN. THEY CONTAIN CHEMICALS OR ABRASIVES... WHITENING CAN INCREASE SENSITIVITY!

Suggest rotating them morning and night. I do the Stannous Flouride at night.

I use only a soft or ultra soft bristled brush. One should brush for a full two minutes, and before starting I spread the toothpaste around to spread it.

Lastly, expectorate (spit) DO NOT rinse. DO NOT eat or drink for 30 minutes after brushing.

Then Please post back after 3 days or a week

This regime is really what it it took me to get the most relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
THAT is it right there. As long I have crooked teeth, nobody is willing to say anything, and I can live a life of thinking they aren’t that bad (even though I know they aren’t great).
Wow, this is me. I didn't think of it really till I just saw it in writing there!

This is great advice, NETWizz. Thank you! I’m currently using Colgate Sensitivity, which has potassium nitrate. I switched to it almost a month ago (I was using regular Colgate), and it has really made a huge difference. I like what you said about alternating. Do you recommend a specific brand with Stannous Flouride?

Good to know about not rinsing. I will start that today. I just thought rinsing was normal!

" I know I took a huge leap by going to the dentist this year, and I know it’s going to take another huge leap. I am really trying and I really want this. It’s just really hard for me"

Thisisme. I just love this.. and you are so inspirational!! I love your journey and courage in all of this!! Can't wait to hear how the braces consult and journey will go! You are taking every step bravely!!

Wow, this is me. I didn't think of it really till I just saw it in writing there!

:grouphug:
You feel how I felt when I heard the girl in the video say it. There was a YouTube comment that said something like, “You are so pretty. You have a great job, a boyfriend, are paying for your own braces. You have so much going for you. Don’t let the haters get you down.” It reminded me that some people can be very kind. I hope whenever I get braces, I’m surrounded by those kind people.

What really bothers me is I can afford braces now. I have also taken the steps I needed to get my mouth healthy. Before I could tell myself my bank account and dental phobia prevented me from getting straight teeth. Now, it’s like... what is my excuse? My fear of needing extractions? Partially true. But mostly, it’s me needing to announce to the world that I know my teeth are crooked and they suck and that I should have done this a long time ago.

Ughhhh.

" I know I took a huge leap by going to the dentist this year, and I know it’s going to take another huge leap. I am really trying and I really want this. It’s just really hard for me"

Thisisme. I just love this.. and you are so inspirational!! I love your journey and courage in all of this!! Can't wait to hear how the braces consult and journey will go! You are taking every step bravely!!

Thank you! I’m not brave enough yet, but I am trying! Everyone’s journey is so unique and everyone faces different struggles. I love all the support on this forum. It sometimes feel like people in the world wouldn’t understand it. We really want what’s best for our mouths, but it takes a bit more effort than most people.

But we try, and that’s all we can do. :)

One of the things I’d like to be brave enough to do in the new year is get a braces consult. I have been watching a ton of braces videos on YouTube and trying to get braver. Having semi combated my dental phobia, I am trying to figure out exactly what bothers me about it.

Then I watched a vlog and an adult with braces said something that really hit home. She said now that her teeth are getting straighter, people are saying how bad her teeth were before. She said that it bothered her because they are her teeth and were like that for a long time. She said that people finally felt okay to discuss how bad they were because she finally recognized the problem and got braces. She obviously did not like that.

And THAT is it right there. As long I have crooked teeth, nobody is willing to say anything, and I can live a life of thinking they aren’t that bad (even though I know they aren’t great).

I like reading comments where people say “wow, you’re going to be even more beautiful” or “braces look great on you!” I just can’t handle people talking about how bad my teeth are. I know I am incredibly fortunate to have healthy teeth now. I just wish I could be brave enough, forget what other people think, and do a braces consult.

I know I took a huge leap by going to the dentist this year, and I know it’s going to take another huge leap. I am really trying and I really want this. It’s just really hard for me.

thisisme,

you have done a great job finding out what it is that's holding you back from getting braces and I appreciate that fears and worries are usually not the most logical kind of thoughts one can have, but reading this I just thought.. wow, what a pitty that this is what's holding her back!

First of all telling anyone that any parts of their body are not or haven't been beautiful is not really kind so my first thought was oh, that person in the video seems to have some really rude friends or maybe just is in spotlight so much that such comments came. It reminds me strongly on people commenting a new haircut saying whether they like it or not (and me wondering why should I give a damn about what THEY do think about MY hair) or even worse, people commenting on someone's clothes size. So while I acknowledge anyone commenting on your teeth would be upsetting, I also want to believe that people who comment would be more exceptions than a rule and it's still on the rather unkind spectrum of communication. Also I do not think you would have to announce it to anyone. You wouldn't announce you started to do sports or changed your diet or got a new shampoo, right? You just do it.. Btw. not sure which kind of braces are you gonna look at, but chances are your surroundings won't even notice.

Your feeling of "this is my teeth and they always have been like this" is absolutely right. They are YOUR teeth and YOU decide whatever YOU would like with them to happen. By the way, there is no such thing as good or bad teeth nor such thing as pretty or ugly teeth. Teeth are teeth and everybody has different teeth as we are all unique and beautiful in our own way. Healthy is the only attribute any teeth should have and you can give yourself a pat on the back for having gotten there. Anything else is optional and as with any other part of your body - if you don't like it, you are free to change it.. or not.

By the way a braces consult is what it is - a consult. There will still be a plenty of time to decide not to do it so may I encourage you to schedule a consult if you feel you are curious about braces? :)

It's like if people ask if/tell me I've lost weight, I don't like it much even though it's a compliment. First because I don't think I have and also because that sounds as if I was fat before!

What really bothers me is I can afford braces now. I have also taken the steps I needed to get my mouth healthy. Before I could tell myself my bank account and dental phobia prevented me from getting straight teeth. Now, it’s like... what is my excuse? My fear of needing extractions? Partially true. But mostly, it’s me needing to announce to the world that I know my teeth are crooked and they suck and that I should have done this a long time ago.
I so get this too! Excuses make things easy to avoid!

This is great advice. Thank you! I’m currently using Colgate Sensitivity, which has potassium nitrate. I switched to it almost a month ago (I was using regular Colgate), and it has really made a huge difference. I like what you said about alternating. Do you recommend a specific brand with Stannous Flouride?

Good to know about not rinsing. I will start that today. I just thought rinsing was normal!

First congratulations on getting your teeth fixed. Your next appointment will hopefully be a simple cleaning and feel wonderful. You won’t be stressed after going through all this. Instead, you are going to get to enjoy life without pain, get to go on vacation without worry, etc. It is about to all be worth the stress and anxiety you went through.

Everything I say below is what works for me and what I would do if as were you based on my own experience. It’s not medical advice

Yeah don’t rinse... spit... spread it around to all teeth then brush a full two minutes. Do NOT swallow it (except trace amounts) either. Also no drinking or eating for 30 minutes after brushing. Folks who brush for too short a duration and rinse get reduced benefit of toothpaste.

I happen to be using Sensodyne Rapid Relief as my Stannous Flouride toothpaste choice, and it is honestly my favorite non-prescription toothpaste to date that I have tried; it’s great. I doubt the brand maters nearly as much as the ingredients. When I rotated both Sensodyne Pro-Namel /w Potassium Nitrate and Sensodyne Rapid Relief /W Stannous Flouride, the Stannous fluoride paste provided me more relief than the potassium-nitrate paste. You are using a potassium-nitrate paste, and it is working great, so don’t change that. Supplement it instead.

You are using Colgate, which makes some great toothpastes. Keep using the Colgate-Sensitivity since it is working well for you that is your potassium-nitrate paste. You might stick with Colgate and also pick up a tube of Colgate Total SF clean mint (NOT the whitening one). Total SF is Colgate’s flagship/top-shelf product and contains Stannous Flouride, which Colgate lists as treating sensitivity too.

There are tons of great choices. Just get one from a major brand with that Stannous Floride active ingredient, no mention of whitening, and ADA acceptance... and put it in your daily rotation along with what is working for you now.

This is what I do and right now my teeth feel like they did back when I was in High-School with zero decay or dental work anywhere.

I have no sensitivity of any kind at the moment. My teeth are thanking me.

Last edited:
Back